2014 Camaro for my mom's midlife crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom calls me today to tell me she is considering strongly trading her focus for a camaro. The one she is interested in is a v6 with a STICK!! (Proud son moment) anyway how potent is the v6 ? And how reliable are these cars. I am kinda worried about my mom who is afraid of speed is now buying a muscle car. I felt like the parent asking a thousand questions and questioning her mental state. But hey she's an adult.

Talk her into a auto. The V6 will surprise you! Winter, sminter, go pick her up in your 4X4. And be the proud son with her in traffic court for her speeding ticket! The life clock is ticking........I hope she enjoys the heck out of that Camaro!!!

It's not the V-8, but 323 horsepower provides pretty brisk acceleration. Your mom will probably think it's a rocketship coming out of a Focus.

Yeah I think it'll be good for her she deserves it but my god it'll be different than what she is used to. Hope she will let me drive it
laugh.gif

I know what mid life crisis is I have been through about ten of them. GO Mom.

I think my dear departed mother would have wanted it in yellow. She always wanted a yellow car... but never got one. Tell your mom to "go for it"!

I recently read an Eleanor Roosevelt quote "Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again".

Those safety ratings didn't help the sports figure who perished in a 14 Camaro recently.

The new camaro's huge, heavy, and probably safer than a 1980's caprice.

Now my 3rd gen firebird, that was a deathtrap, LOL.

A v6 Camaro is not a muscle car but the a decently powered RWD sedan.

I would not worry much. Although visibility is absolutely abhorrent in these and IMHO a factor. My experience comes from an "upgrade" of a rental they first trying extracting $50/day out of me.

With 300+ HP, it will be pretty muscular. She'll think it's quite fast compared to the Focus she's getting out of. Next thing you know, she'll be wanting to take it to the race track.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Talk her into a auto. The V6 will surprise you! Winter, sminter, go pick her up in your 4X4. And be the proud son with her in traffic court for her speeding ticket! The life clock is ticking........I hope she enjoys the heck out of that Camaro!!!

If she wants a stick, and knows what its like, she should get one. Its a Camaro, not a soccer mom SUV.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I would not worry much. Although visibility is absolutely abhorrent in these and IMHO a factor. My experience comes from an "upgrade" of a rental they first trying extracting $50/day out of me.

My opinion only, but 300+ HP is a muscle car to me. My 250 HP Challenger V-6 will get up and go. It's definitely faster than my V-8 Camaro I had in the 1980s. The visibility is horrible in these, and there is no headroom. GM goofed with the chopped top look (which I don't like anyway). It would have looked better with a higher roof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: rjundi

My opinion only, but 300+ HP is a muscle car to me. My 250 HP Challenger V-6 will get up and go. It's definitely faster than my V-8 Camaro I had in the 1980s. The visibility is horrible in these, and there is no headroom. GM goofed with the chopped top look (which I don't like anyway). It would have looked better with a higher roof.

So you consider a Chevy Impala a muscle car for example with 305HP? The bar has been raised for modern vehicles where 300HP is no longer muscle.

I see your piont for sure but I think 300hp is pretty muscular in a broad sense. Sure there is higher and faster but 300 is plenty. Esoecially for the average driver.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
With 300+ HP, it will be pretty muscular. She'll think it's quite fast compared to the Focus she's getting out of. Next thing you know, she'll be wanting to take it to the race track.

Yes, the LS3 would scare the bejeebus out of her!!
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back