2014 Audi Q7 Premium Plus: expected issues at 100k?

Gents,

Bought a 2014 Q7 via Carvana 2 months ago, and has been delayed 5 times since purchase, with a delivery date now standing at 6/4. I'll believe it when I see it.

They tell me they keep finding problems to fix. It's a german auto with 100k and 8 years, so, obviously, yes, probably very many. It's hard for me to be impatient or mad at this situation as it seems I may actually have a fairly and properly well sorted out German scrapbox by the time it makes its way to the local vending machine.

I'm a fairly competent DIY'er, but are these within the wheelhouse of the average garage grease monkey? Common issues? Grievances?

Thanks in advance for any advice, although, I am fairly certain 98% of said advice will be encapsulated in a single word: RUN.

1653065167520.jpg

Run. Who knows though, it sounds like your capable of fixing issues and if you have the time and enjoy it, maybe go for it.

+1000 on the VCDS system. If you plan to own and maintain any VW/Audi group vehicle, this scan tool dongle and software combo is an absolute must, at a minimum.

Having owned both VWs and Audis, they're not terrible to work on and can be reliable if treated properly.

That said, everything is fixable at a price. It's good that they're attempting to fix whatever needs fixing, which is a lot more than can be said of most car dealers selling "certified pre-owned" cars. Many times the used car doesn't even get a wash, much less any servicing. That's another point for Carvana in my book.

Not knowing what all is being fixed before delivery, you'll want to get all caught up on any scheduled preventive maintenance as required in the service manual. If you don't see record of it completed, assume it wasn't and just do it upfront.

The Q7's are heavy cars that wear out tires and brakes more than other, lighter cars and SUVs. Tires in the sizes Q7's run don't come cheap, and you shouldn't buy the cheapest either. Stick with good, known brands and get the alignment checked/adjusted.

At 100k miles, many of the plastic pieces in the engine bay may have become brittle from so many hot/cold cycles. Be wary when moving or replacing items since they may just snap in your hand.

Your new best friend will likely be FCPEuro dot com, where you can find OE quality parts with lifetime warranty. Take advantage of it when doing any scheduled maintenance or repairs.

There's so much else that could be said, but until you get the car dropped off by the Carvana tow truck, we're just shooting in the dark.

Looking forward to pics and status report after a few drives.

It will need, with some regularity:

Blower motors
Door handles
Brakes
Tires

Watch the oil consumption with 3.0T.

The driveshaft can start to knock.

We loved our '15 for the short time we had it but the Atlas was better for our family. I'd gladly own another Q7 for myself, but it would be an early 3.6 or 4.2.

They're pretty solid cars.

It will need, with some regularity:

Blower motors
Door handles
Brakes
Tires

Watch the oil consumption with 3.0T.

The driveshaft can start to knock.

We loved our '15 for the short time we had it but the Atlas was better for our family. I'd gladly own another Q7 for myself, but it would be an early 3.6 or 4.2.

They're pretty solid cars.
If often needing blower motors, door handles, and driveshafts means it’s pretty solid, what cars aren’t solid?

If often needing blower motors, door handles, and driveshafts means it’s pretty solid, what cars aren’t solid?
The sensors are first-gen keyless stuff and not great. You can code them out or repair them cheaply. The official procedure is to replace the whole handle (with paint) for $$$$$.

The blower motor is also inexpensive and easy to swap. Not sure why but the first gen Touareg, Cayenne, and Q7 all had this issue.

The driveshaft carrier bearing goes out with age. There are aftermarket parts to correct the failure without removing the driveshaft from the car.

All in all, it's pretty simple stuff and they're minor issues to contend with.

Name me a large/luxury SUV without common niggles.

At least with a VWAG product you have a robust aftermarket dedicated to correcting the various OEM shortcomings.

Gents,

Bought a 2014 Q7 via Carvana 2 months ago, and has been delayed 5 times since purchase, with a delivery date now standing at 6/4. I'll believe it when I see it.

They tell me they keep finding problems to fix. It's a german auto with 100k and 8 years, so, obviously, yes, probably very many. It's hard for me to be impatient or mad at this situation as it seems I may actually have a fairly and properly well sorted out German scrapbox by the time it makes its way to the local vending machine.

I'm a fairly competent DIY'er, but are these within the wheelhouse of the average garage grease monkey? Common issues? Grievances?

Thanks in advance for any advice, although, I am fairly certain 98% of said advice will be encapsulated in a single word: RUN.

View attachment 100791
It is very solid vehicle.
2014 means that 3.0T has updated PCV and water pump. It is very, very good engine. Transmission is excellent.
However, ANY car, if neglected, will have issues! Just bcs. it is Audi doesn’t mean that is expected. Both of my European cars had less issues than my Toyota.
So, key here is previous owner!

Curious about the details of the warranty as well. Personally never was interested in anything European from a real-world gotta live with it perspective, over priced money pits, and one with 8 yrs/ 100 K miles would never be on my purchase radar as a financial black hole. I'm sinking my $$$ into guns...ammo....and retirement savings!

Not sure if it shares motor/transmission with SQ5 but same year , my brother has one he has owned since 2016 that has had flawless engine and transmission now with 155k.

@Quattro Pete has some experience with this motor.
Wife has a '15 Q5, currently at 60k miles. From bigger things, it needed new exhaust flex pipes and crankcase breather at 50k miles. It drives very well. The ZF8 trans is good too. Ideally, we'd want to get rid of it once the extended warranty is up, which will be soon, but finding a new car right now is a challenge, so who knows.

Back