2014/15 Mazda3 4-door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if this is a reliable vehicle? Any known problems? Got a sweet quote with an incentive so I am leaning towards this. And in snow would it be okay?

Should be reliable, sure. Put snow tires on and it will be great in the snow. 2015 you can get the manual and the 2.5L engine on GT trim.

You will see some excellent fuel economy out of one. I would also suggest looking at a Honda Accord since they are practically the same price but a lot more car. We ended up buying a 6MT Accord.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I would also suggest looking at a Honda Accord since they are practically the same price but a lot more car. We ended up buying a 6MT Accord.

Are they really about the same price? If so, I'd go for a 6MT Accord as well. These new Accords look sweet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would also suggest looking at a Honda Accord since they are practically the same price but a lot more car. We ended up buying a 6MT Accord.

Are they really about the same price? If so, I'd go for a 6MT Accord as well. These new Accords look sweet.

For the Price of a 6MT Accord, or a Mazda3 GT, I would happily plunk the money on a Mazda 6 Touring 6MT instead. More car than the Mazda 3, and better drivers car than the Honda Accord.

That's my opinion, anyway.

BC.

Accords are heavily discounted. 20k can get you an LX manual, 22k a sport, ect. Some people claim to have gotten a left over 2014 sport in the 20k range.

I really like the mazdas too, but they just have to get more $$ for them. I liked the 5 door hatch Mazda 3, but it was coming in at 24k.

The very base accord is still pretty good equipment wise.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

For the Price of a 6MT Accord, or a Mazda3 GT, I would happily plunk the money on a Mazda 6 Touring 6MT instead. More car than the Mazda 3, and better drivers car than the Honda Accord.

That's my opinion, anyway.

BC.

I think that's a good opinion. I've always felt Mazda charged too much for the upgraded engine/higher trims on the 3 series. It's in the range where plenty of midsize cars with similar drivetrains, more comfort and not much more weight play.

My 2012 3 has been reliable. I have the 2.0 Skyactiv engine and the 6-speed trans. The trans is a bit rough compared to a regular slushbox (it's got a torque converter for 1st gear and then dual clutch for the rest) but I'm fine with it. I've had no engine problems.

It's pretty good in the snow also, pretty much like any other FWD car. Obviously it would be better with snow tires (or even better all seasons, mine are the OEM Bridgestones).

Rust seems to be an ongoing question with Mazda.

When I got it the new 6 was not out yet; I also tested an Accord coupe but the utility of the 3 hatch and the promise of better gas mileage sold the Mazda. Jury's still out as to whether or not I would buy another.

As stated above, the only real problem with Mazdas is rust, and it's a big problem. Do a google search and see for your self, we're talking 2 and 3 year old cars that are rotting away, I've seen it first hand in the UK on a 2012 6. If you don't live in the rust belt or anywhere where roads are salted in winter you should be okay though

Originally Posted By: Danno

Just love it when the OP starts a controversial thread, doesn't back it up with pictures, and just disappears.

Grounds for a forum ban imo.

who urinated in your corn flakes? speak your mind before typing it on a forum and let me know how that sounded.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
My 2012 3 has been reliable. I have the 2.0 Skyactiv engine and the 6-speed trans. The trans is a bit rough compared to a regular slushbox (it's got a torque converter for 1st gear and then dual clutch for the rest) but I'm fine with it. I've had no engine problems.

One small correction. Mazda advertises the "advantages of a dual clutch" but it does NOT have a dual clutch. It is a locking torque converter, just a HIGHLY refined one that locks in very quickly in gears other than 1st. This locking effect makes it similar to a dual clutch in behavior and performance.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
As stated above, the only real problem with Mazdas is rust, and it's a big problem. Do a google search and see for your self, we're talking 2 and 3 year old cars that are rotting away, I've seen it first hand in the UK on a 2012 6. If you don't live in the rust belt or anywhere where roads are salted in winter you should be okay though

Where I live, the roads get salted quite a bit during the winter. Not to the levels of the rust belt but in a typical winter they probably salt the roads 10+ times minimum. I have had 2 mazdas and no rust issues. I don't see any newish mazdas around here with rust issues. We do have a parking lot full of Hondas and Toyotas with rust issues, though, but that is mainly because there are a lot more of them.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Where I live, the roads get salted quite a bit during the winter. Not to the levels of the rust belt but in a typical winter they probably salt the roads 10+ times minimum. I have had 2 mazdas and no rust issues. I don't see any newish mazdas around here with rust issues. We do have a parking lot full of Hondas and Toyotas with rust issues, though, but that is mainly because there are a lot more of them.

That's been my experience as well.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: Danno

Just love it when the OP starts a controversial thread, doesn't back it up with pictures, and just disappears.

Grounds for a forum ban imo.

who urinated in your corn flakes? speak your mind before typing it on a forum and let me know how that sounded.

I didn't realized you cared about my well being and my food intake, I am truly touched.

cool.gif

And my original post stands as is.
OP is still MIA, no proof to back up his comments.

OP is back.. Google Mazda rust issues and waa-lah. It's all right there. However, it sounds like Mazda fixed the issue back when it departed from Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back