2013 Toyota Highlander

If you look at the Toyota water pump the impeller has a much smaller bearing than most and the cover is huge. I think this contributes to the early failures

Originally Posted by Chris142
Not uncommon for dealers to source parts from local parts stores. Maybe that is what they did?

A few years ago I ordered a radiator from the chevy dealer per the customers request.

They charged us the full GM cost but they just called 1800radiator and brought us a Lynol brand .

Wow. I thought dealers used factory parts only.

In this case, I would definitely check the invoice for a part number.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
The car still had a warranty. the dealership did it

This does not answer the question as to what specific part (brand) was used at 58k miles. It was NOT under factory warranty, so the dealer was not required by Toyota to use OEM parts. In fact, I bet most dealers doing aftermarket warranty work don't use OEM parts.

I still think it's a fluke--some percentage die early, and some percentage of owners are going to get two flukes in a row. It usually incites them, and I don't blame them, but it's statistics.

The intake flap on my VW died at 200k. The replacement intake flap died just outside of warranty a year and 20k later. $200 each time and I don't think there was anything but OEM available (been too long to remember). At least it was an easy job... the second one was still working happily along with almost 100k of usage when I got rid of the car.

Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by millerbl00
The car still had a warranty. the dealership did it

This does not answer the question as to what specific part (brand) was used at 58k miles. It was NOT under factory warranty, so the dealer was not required by Toyota to use OEM parts. In fact, I bet most dealers doing aftermarket warranty work don't use OEM parts.

They still should use OE parts. But it is dealership specific. My local Toyota dealership could not order pan/filter for transmission on my Sienna bcs. they never seen one and tried to convince me that there is no replacement pan/filter on transmission (while talking about it they managed to say" why don't you leave your vehicle to our "professionals" to do it). I ended up ordering one from Toyota dealership in NJ.
So, you can get all kind of stuff from dealerships.

Back