2013 Sonata. Suddenly Very Dark Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know all about the engines loving to blow . 67000 miles, always synthetic every 5k. I noticed on last oil change that the level seemed to drop half a quart and it was nasty dark. I went ahead and changed it a few weeks ago and so far it has about 875 miles on it. Strangely that new Oil appears to be awfully dark for being a couple of weeks old? What gives, that's a new one on me. I did happen to cut that last filter open and it was clean.

That was normal in my (now aold) Sonata. Nothing to worry about concerning the oil color.

In 2013 I think they got direct injection. Direct injection engines create a lot of soot, kinda like diesel engines. If you've seen used diesel oil it's like black ink.

Originally Posted by Loobit
In 2013 I think they got direct injection. Direct injection engines create a lot of soot, kinda like diesel engines. If you've seen used diesel oil it's like black ink.

They've been GDi since 2011.

Do a UOA and eliminate the guess work. Make sure to get TBN, TAN, Fuel Dilution, Coolant. You can even get soot levels for gasoline engines depending on the lab.
(Don't use Blackstone their fuel % numbers are not accurate)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Driz
Yes I know all about the engines loving to blow .

Sonata engines blow up eventually?

They are notorious for tossing a con rod spinning bearings, the whole Theta 2 series in the Sonatas and Elantras.. the recall in US forced them into a 10 yr 120,000 mile extended warranty on the engine. Local wrenches tell me they see them tossing their cookies around that 120000 mark. Many don't last that long. We had an Elantra die at 46000 using all synthetic top tier oil. That's why I watch this pig like a hawk. You won't see us going anywhere near Hyundai again for sure.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Do a UOA and eliminate the guess work. Make sure to get TBN, TAN, Fuel Dilution, Coolant. You can even get soot levels for gasoline engines depending on the lab.

What good labs would you recommend?

I have a 2011 sonata, same car pretty much.

It is GDI soot, mine turns oil jet black in about 1000-1500 miles.

The oil going in is clean and gold.

I do 3750 mile changes on this car, it bothers me so much. 3750 is severe service per the book.

I have tried all kinds of oil it makes no difference.

Originally Posted by diyjake

What good labs would you recommend?

Dyson Analysis would be my first choice if you want really good calibrated testing but he isn't the cheapest. It comes with Soot Testing and Karl Fischer water testing as well as TBN/TAN and accurate Fuel numbers using the best analysis equipment available today. Especially if you are trying to determine if there is something going on in your engine. http://www.dysonanalysis.com/shop

Otherwise I would use TestOil in Ohio. https://testoil.com/services/oil-analysis/

Using the cheaper labs will tell you the health of the lubricant but not necessarily what might be going on in your engine aside from coolant or something else glaringly obvious. Dyson found something wrong with my Journey even before it set a check engine light. The combustion dynamic he was able to see in the oil report showed it was running a tad on the rich side. A few months later the ECM set the code for the coolant sensor being faulty. Car drove/ran fine until then but the UOA and his expert analysis picked up on it. To me it looked fine. That's the difference IMO and it's worth it when trying to troubleshoot a potential problem and far cheaper than replacing an engine down the line when it could have been prevented sort of thing. (Not that my problem would have lead to engine failure or anything)

Just my
49.gif

Last edited:

They are notorious for tossing a con rod spinning bearings, the whole Theta 2 series in the Sonatas and Elantras.. the recall in US forced them into a 10 yr 120,000 mile extended warranty on the engine. Local wrenches tell me they see them tossing their cookies around that 120000 mark. Many don't last that long. We had an Elantra die at 46000 using all synthetic top tier oil. That's why I watch this pig like a hawk. You won't see us going anywhere near Hyundai again for sure.

Sorry for your experience. Hardly means they are "notorious..." though. But i can understand your sentiment.
We've owned 5 Hyundai/KIA vehicles since 2010 (two Sonata and one ea., Sportage, Veloster and Santa Fe). One sold with 118K miles, another with 88K miles. Our current Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has over 145K miles. We've had zero issues...not one. We've been very pleased.

My sister has beaten the absolute snot out of her Hyundai Elantras and is now on her 3rd one. And 0 issues, and believe me it would have shown up in her vehicles if it were a problem. All on dino bulk oil. All have made it well past junk points for most vehicles. I've talked about this before.

Did they have some issues with some engines? Yes,
Is it the norm? NO! Is it still happening? NO! Should we crucify them because they had some issues like all OE's do? NO!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustinH
I have a 2011 sonata, same car pretty much.

It is GDI soot, mine turns oil jet black in about 1000-1500 miles.

The oil going in is clean and gold.

I do 3750 mile changes on this car, it bothers me so much. 3750 is severe service per the book.

I have tried all kinds of oil it makes no difference.

Interesting. The 3.3 GDI in my Santa Fe does NOT turn the oil black, which is what I was expecting it to do when I bought it. I wonder why the differences...

Originally Posted by wemay

Sorry for your experience. Hardly means they are "notorious..." though. But i can understand your sentiment.
We've owned 5 Hyundai/KIA vehicles since 2010 (two Sonata and one ea., Sportage, Veloster and Santa Fe). One sold with 118K miles, another with 88K miles. Our current Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has over 145K miles. We've had zero issues...not one. We've been very pleased.

I agree with wemay on this one. It seems like I find myself defending Hyundai more than I should have to on this forum--I'd expect BITOG to be more aware of real trends vs. internet lore. Hyundai has had some engine recalls. . . but it's not over-represented statistically compared to other OEMs. I'm on my third Hyundai and have had zero serious issues with any of them--first one had the 3.3 V6, last one was the 2.0T, and now I'm on the 2.4L. I'm not concerned about longevity with Hyundai. The other thing I see often repeated is that Hyundai gives everyone a hard time about warranty claims--I've had few issues, but the ones I've had were dealt with "no questions asked" and quickly.

Originally Posted by Robster

I agree with wemay on this one. It seems like I find myself defending Hyundai more than I should have to on this forum--I'd expect BITOG to be more aware of real trends vs. internet lore. Hyundai has had some engine recalls. . . but it's not over-represented statistically compared to other OEMs. I'm on my third Hyundai and have had zero serious issues with any of them--first one had the 3.3 V6, last one was the 2.0T, and now I'm on the 2.4L. I'm not concerned about longevity with Hyundai. The other thing I see often repeated is that Hyundai gives everyone a hard time about warranty claims--I've had few issues, but the ones I've had were dealt with "no questions asked" and quickly.

I am new to Hyundai, and I have been researching their honoring of warranties. It seems to me they are excellent in honoring warranty claims until it comes to engine issues. Then they seem to put the brakes on it.

My sister has beaten the absolute snot out of her Hyundai Elantras and is now on her 3rd one. And 0 issues, and believe me it would have shown up in her vehicles if it were a problem. All on dino bulk oil. All have made it well past junk points for most vehicles. I've talked about this before.

Did they have some issues with some engines? Yes,
Is it the norm? NO! Is it still happening? NO! Should we crucify them because they had some issues like all OE's do? NO!

I agree. Not only when it comes to Hyundai/Kia, but virtually every brand.

I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe with 2.4 engine. Please tell me these don't undergo the same traits as the Sonatas and Elantra engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back