2013 Silverado / 5.3L / Mobil 1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Blackstone UOA, apparently Polaris Labs is in Indianapolis and Blackstone Labs is in Ft. Wayne, the Post Office gets them mixed up all the time.

My silicon is 10 so my K&N is not letting in pounds of dirt per hour.

I knew I was changing is a bit early at 5100 miles, this time I'll let the OLM tell me when to change it.

The copper is a little high, but they said that's because it's a new engine.

Still have plenty of TBN left.

11315166424_04fe854633_o_d.jpg

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Looks good. The sample is 5100mi but it is not the factory fill right? Did you dump the FF immediately?

I have ~18K miles on the truck. I changed the oil at 16,200 miles and sent a sample off to Blackstone. I dumped the factory fill at ~1100 miles.

The UOA is telling you several things here:

1) Engine is in fine shape. The Cu is typical of many newer GM engines; it likely will subside and I'd not worry over this in the least.

2) The syn did nothing exceptional (nada, zip, zilch). The results are totally average and well within normal statistical deviation.

3) The TBN took a dive for only 5k miles, but without knowing TAN, it's kind of moot. TBN/TAN testing is pretty much unneeded if you're not going to greatly extend your OCIs.

4) The fluid was under-utilizied. Either greatly extend your OCIs and continue to monitor with UOAs, or use the least-cost qualified oil (warranty nod here) you can find on sale and stick with the OLM. Even the OLM is conservative, so changing before that is a total waste.

Last edited:
As for as dexos1 choices go, I'd call M1 one of the best, at least from the perspective of the choice with the least resistance. M1 is certified and that isn't changing anytime soon (unlike SOPUS's shell game, as it were, with QSUD, PP, and PU and certification uncertainty). And, it's not going to be hard to find, unlike several dexos1 options.

10 silicon still likely produces more metal wear than 0. It should keep dropping until you clean the filter, I hope you're going to push the filter interval on the kn.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

1) Engine is in fine shape. The Cu is typical of many newer GM engines; it likely will subside and I'd not worry over this in the least.

2) The syn did nothing exceptional (nada, zip, zilch). The results are totally average and well within normal statistical deviation.

3) The TBN took a dive for only 5k miles, but without knowing TAN, it's kind of moot. TBN/TAN testing is pretty much unneeded if you're not going to greatly extend your OCIs.

4) The fluid was under-utilizied. Either greatly extend your OCIs and continue to monitor with UOAs, or use the least-cost qualified oil (warranty nod here) you can find on sale and stick with the OLM. Even the OLM is conservative, so changing before that is a total waste.

I knew that 5K was under-utilizing the oil. I am going to go by the OLM for my next change. I did the math. I have 75% left on the OLM and I've driven 2K miles. Simple arithmetic tells me that I should be due for an oil change at ~8K miles.

As far as the cost of oil, that's not a real concern for me. Since I change oil ~3X a year, if the oil costs me $27 when I could be spending $21 each change, that's not even a worth discussing.

As far as getting a TBN done, since this was the first UOA I've ever gotten, I was just curious.

Now armed with the info of this UOA, I will change the oil when the OLM tells me to.

^^^Yay, another one realizes the OLM is a good thing!

Follow it with a good synthetic and you're golden. Your engine will far outlast the platform it is installed in and you will save big bucks on unneeded changes.

It's all good...

Originally Posted By: stchman

I knew that 5K was under-utilizing the oil. I am going to go by the OLM for my next change. I did the math. I have 75% left on the OLM and I've driven 2K miles. Simple arithmetic tells me that I should be due for an oil change at ~8K miles.

As far as the cost of oil, that's not a real concern for me. Since I change oil ~3X a year, if the oil costs me $27 when I could be spending $21 each change, that's not even a worth discussing.

As far as getting a TBN done, since this was the first UOA I've ever gotten, I was just curious.

Now armed with the info of this UOA, I will change the oil when the OLM tells me to.

Trying to guess the ending OCI now might be a fun game, and there is nothing wrong with making a bet with youself on the OLM lifecycle, but you really cannot fairly make that leap you made. The GM OLM is an "informed" system that uses a large list of parameters (coolant temps, run times, OATs, fuel loading, etc) to calcuate the OCI duration. The whole point of the OLM is not not have to guess when you should OCI. By guessing an 8k mile OCI now, you are not letting the system do it's job. Yes - you can use it as a game to "predict" when the OLM might pop up the "change oil" message, but planning your OCI, when only 25% of the OLM has expired, is not really the point of the system. Any significant change in operational conditions would result in a change in the OLM lifecycle.

As for the waste of the lube, as long as you can admit it as such, then go for it.

Trying to guess the ending OCI now might be a fun game, and there is nothing wrong with making a bet with youself on the OLM lifecycle, but you really cannot fairly make that leap you made. The GM OLM is an "informed" system that uses a large list of parameters (coolant temps, run times, OATs, fuel loading, etc) to calcuate the OCI duration. The whole point of the OLM is not not have to guess when you should OCI. By guessing an 8k mile OCI now, you are not letting the system do it's job. Yes - you can use it as a game to "predict" when the OLM might pop up the "change oil" message, but planning your OCI, when only 25% of the OLM has expired, is not really the point of the system. Any significant change in operational conditions would result in a change in the OLM lifecycle.

As for the waste of the lube, as long as you can admit it as such, then go for it.

As I said, it was a ~8K estimate. I will change the oil when the OLM has ~5% left on it.

We are in a pretty good cold spell here in St. Louis, so I expect that the OLM should make necessary adjustments as ambient temperature has to be one of the inputs.

My thing is, the OLM does not know what type of oil you put in. I can only guess that the OLM is calibrated with AC Delco dexos1 synthetic blend.

I can only guess that the OLM is calibrated with AC Delco dexos1 synthetic blend.

That's an interesting point. GM developed and wrote the programs for these IOLMs many years ago; makes one wonder if they spend the time to update them as data and lubes change? You'd think with the newest generation engines, they'd write new programs due to active fuel managment, DI, etc. But who around here knows for sure?

It's not uncommon at all for the gassers to see 8-10k miles in the old IOLM schemes. If they are still relating such distances, is that because they haven't updated programs, or is it the result of the offset between "better" fluids (dexos1) and the dilution of DI?

Is there much, if any, difference at all?

One thing is for sure, your results are showing that following the IOLM is the MINIMUM OCI you should entertain. And if you follow that, I'd not waste money on future UOAs. Just fill it, reset the IOLM, and forget about it until the next time the message pops up; that's the beauty of the system. And don't panic if you have to over-run the IOLM by some marginal amount; clearly there is plenty of reserve in the OCI. If you were to have a choice of the OCI being 500 miles "early" or "over", due to a long trip (etc), then I'd err towards the long side. The data shows this is not as big a risk as folks think.

Last edited:
My thing is, the OLM does not know what type of oil you put in. I can only guess that the OLM is calibrated with AC Delco dexos1 synthetic blend.

We have access to a GM G Team engineer via our factory authorized upfitter. He told us in 2004 that the OLM is always calibrated to the cheapest oil that meets their requirements.

Our last van sold had half a million miles on it. Never leaked, burnt, or dripped oil. Used whatever syn was on sale and changed strictly via OLM.

I am sure the new 13's we own are calibrated to the Dexos spec oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back