2013 Pilot steering "stutter"...advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cuz has this Pilot that besides having stiffer steering than his CR-V, the steering is just not smooth...it feels to me as if the steering is "knotchy", almost gritty, with a consistent skip or momentary intermittency....sorry but it's hard to verbalize the feeling.

Anyway, the dealer says it's "normal"...HA, I say....the dealer had him drive a new Pilot to show him the difference/improvement...HA, HA...I say.

I've recommended to cuz that he increase the PSI and roll the front end onto two layers of plastic sheeting. By doing so he can this eliminate friction and the effect of the tires on concrete.

Then he should rotate the steering wheel from end to end and see if that consistent knotchiness disappears. If it does then I had recommended he do a full power-steering fluid exchange.

Anyone with any other suggestions? Thanks.

is this hydraulic, electric, hybrid electric type or what power steering.

My malibu had a dead spot in the steering wheel if u cruised down the highway. U would havr to give it a lil bit of extra pressure to turn lanes. There was a tsb on in and the dealer reflashed the p.s system and so good so far.

Have you checked the u-joints on the steering linkage for issues (i.e. binding)?

His power steering pump might be cavitating. Check the PS reservoir's filter screen, backflush if necessary.

My cuz has this Pilot that besides having stiffer steering than his CR-V, the steering is just not smooth...it feels to me as if the steering is "knotchy", almost gritty, with a consistent skip or momentary intermittency....sorry but it's hard to verbalize the feeling.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Have you checked the u-joints on the steering linkage for issues (i.e. binding)?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
His power steering pump might be cavitating. Check the PS reservoir's filter screen, backflush if necessary.

Thanks for the advice...I'll pass it on to him.

These and lots of other Honda models are known PS pump eaters, I did one with a leaking rack so we replaced the rack, pump and installed a filter all new OE parts, 3 yrs later it needed another pump that makes 4 pumps all new OE in 175K.
What you are describing as stuttering is how it starts, as it progresses it gets harder to turn at idle but power assist comes back with increased rpm's, shortly after that total failure.

You need Honda Part No.: 06531-RN0-000 it is called a pump kit but it is a complete pump with valves sans pulley which is a simple bolt on.

Edit: Never buy a reman PS pump for Honda or GM vehicles (others can be iffy also), they have a awful failure rate.

Last edited:
Thanks for that bit of Honda history....sad that the dealer wouldn't be up front about that....but what else would one expect?

Ask them about VCM problems and they will tell you they don't exist, all dealers are the same as far as admitting problems. GM dealers wont admit to cam chain problems on early 3.6 engines for example even though 3 of them are in the service bays for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back