2013 Mustang V8 oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote]

LMAO,
We're talkin a 13-second car from the showroom floor,that gets beat up on from ford engineers themselves,but it's "different" when a regular guy takes it out to the drag strip for alil fun,yeah ford knows what the general public does with these cars,and they do just fine with the oil that is spec'd for them. [/quote]
+1

Originally Posted By: DragRace
We're talkin a 13-second car from the showroom floor

It's at worst a high 12 second car right off of the showroom floor, given a decently prepped track, and a middling DA (but yes, this IS besides the point
wink.gif
).

Speaking of which, hjac11; Island, Atco, or E-Town??

You think thats bad try the gas motor f250, 411hp wide open uphill on a 8% grade towing 9k lbs with 5w20

Yes, that may make me want to go with a heavier oil, but only if the oil temperature and pressure got to marginal conditions. But I wouldn't go straight to Xw50. Anyway, if you want to tow a lot of heavy loads up hills, you should have a diesel. Heavily loaded gasoline engines will blow a hole in your fuel budget.

I also thought it humorous that some "would never run 5w20 for occasional drag strip runs". These cars are driven like this daily by some. Just because it's at a legal drag strip doesn't mean it needs 10w50.

The large sump (8 quarts) should keep your oil temperatures at safe levels for street and drag use (pressure gauges and monitor those before going up in oil weight. 8 quarts of 5w20 is a lot of oil, either for longer OCIs or harder running.

Here's an interesting picture of Royal Purple 5w20 in a 3V Mustang:
84727d1259789076-royal-purple-mobil1-pdrm1922.jpg

I lean towards having a clean engine over ultimate wear protection, so either M1 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 should do nicely.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I also thought it humorous that some "would never run 5w20 for occasional drag strip runs". These cars are driven like this daily by some. Just because it's at a legal drag strip doesn't mean it needs 10w50.

Exactly. Any drag racer who wants a good ET is raising the hood and pushing his car in the staging lanes to get it cooled down between runs.

My car will approach 300 degrees on a real road race track day!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: hjac11

It is my secondary vehicle and won't see winter and will be brought to the dragstrip occasionally along with maybe a track day next year.

You're planning on drag racing with 5W-20 ??? OUCH!!
shocked2.gif

The 5w20 crowd here defies logic

edit:
The mandatory "will void the warranty " will no doubt follow

Last edited:
Actually the 5w-20 crowd here is quite well informed and up to date. Can't say that about everyone, though.

Note that the Stang as always is a high volume car, and selling well. This could show people that Ford has undoubtedly researched the 20w thing well, as warranty claims could kill you on a bad call at this level!

My bet is that Ford tested the [censored] out of these and the 20w will work well for 99.99% of the owners.

Anyone who owns one is welcome to do whatever they like.

Quote:
My bet is that Ford tested the [censored] out of these and the 20w will work well for 99.99% of the owners.

They did. Read several articles years ago about the MC 5w20 and how it outperformed their 5w30 in Ford's testing.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I use 5w30 PP...the valve train is noticeably quieter than with the 5w20 Motorcraft.

Exactly!! Datz what I'm talkin' about!! Thicker = Quieter.
grin2.gif

How do you measure the noise? Not by ear, I hope you are using a sound measuring device.

What's wrong with ears? Esp a trained ear?

really, and my "eyes" detect more cam wear on the 2007 with half the miles and shorter OCI... omg did i use a scientific optical measuring device? no i can see it

so if they had used 5W-30 the car would have been noticeably slower? i would think it might lose 1% power at the top, or 4 hp but if wear is reduced and you plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty, i'd run 5W-30 for drag racing. ALthough oil temps are not sustained, the actual stress on the oil film during those 12 s is extreme

i also don't know about the 5.0 to Boss motors but saying the Boss needs 50 but the 400hp 5.0 needs 20 is.... suspicious

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] really, and my "eyes" detect more cam wear on the 2007 with half the miles and shorter OCI... omg did i use a scientific optical measuring device? no i can see it

so if they had used 5W-30 the car would have been noticeably slower? i would think it might lose 1% power at the top, or 4 hp but if wear is reduced and you plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty, i'd run 5W-30 for drag racing. ALthough oil temps are not sustained, the actual stress on the oil film during those 12 s is extreme

i also don't know about the 5.0 to Boss motors but saying the Boss needs 50 but the 400hp 5.0 needs 20 is.... suspicious

Goto mechanic classics,learn why certain motors require different weights of oils.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] really, and my "eyes" detect more cam wear on the 2007 with half the miles and shorter OCI... omg did i use a scientific optical measuring device? no i can see it

One reason the Boss uses the "50wt" oil is because it has forged pistons, which have more clearance in the bores than a std 5.0 . Also different rods and an oil cooler that will take a little away from the pressure.
As a side note, the 06 Mustang GT I used to have before I got this one, ran 5W-20 in it most of it's life , and the rest of the time it had 0wt-30 Amsoil in it . This was ran with a 465 rwhp , as it had a Saleen Supercharger on it . Traded it in at 72,000 miles for the new 5.0 . The engine was as sound the day I traded it in as the day I bought it,zero engine problems and it was at the drag strip at least 300 times in it's life !

The only reason the Boss specs heavier oil is it's focus on road racing. Track days at HPDE's will raise oil temps to near dangerous levels for sustained time periods.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Ears are not subjective especially prejudiced ones.

How did you determine "prejudiced"? Seems like you're making the assumptions now.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Ears are not subjective especially prejudiced ones.

How did you determine "prejudiced"? Seems like you're making the assumptions now.

I do not have to assume anything. The poster I am referring to believes XW20 oils do not protect any IC engine. His argument is the engine makes more noise on 20 grade oils versus any other grades thus providing less protection. I just want acoustic measurements. Because I believe 20 grade oils where specified in the vast majority of engines is more than good enough but I lack "common sense" and I am "illogical". So I have explained how I came to my conclusions in my experience, so I just want decibel measures of a engine in operation that is spec for 20 grade oil on other oil grades. I will save the rest of my arguments for later threads. But I will not try to write a paper such as Motor oil university 101. I still have not read that it can not keep my attention.

I have a 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 and have 6000 miles on her. Have used MC 5W20 and FL500S and am very happy with sound and performance. Changed it at 2000 miles and at 5000 miles so far.
Great motor. Even in hot weather doesn't get nearly as hot as my last 5.3L Chevy Impala SS with AFM.
Great oil and available at Wally World!
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back