2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7Hemi 155,000 miles

I have been using conventional 5w20w oil in my Hemi since we bought it used with around 17,000 miles on it. I'm looking to switch to a synthetic blend or full synthetic high mileage oil and possibly adding a quart of Lucas high mileage oil stabilizer in it. Past month I noticed I have what sounds like 1 lifter tapping after the engine gets warm.

Thoughts?

Castrol Magnatec 5W30 to help quiet it down. Seems to be one of the best at quieting engine noises such as this. I’d skip the Lucas also.

I really don't pay much attention to the 5w20's since I don't use them but if they're anything like the 5w30's what ever conventional you been using has probably been a blend for a while now and I would stay with a blend, seems to be working for you. I'm going to be switching my Lucerne over to Valvoline HM blend next change.

Pouring Group 1 Brightstock with no additives into your oil isn't really a good idea.

If you want higher viscosity just go up to 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on climate. It's a much better way of achieving the same effect. If that's still isn't enough try Mobil 1 0W-40. It will likely still be thinner than adding a quart of brightstock.

I’ve gotten rid of lifter noise with Archoil AR9100. I concur avoid Lucasoil.

And switch to HM oil. IMO the Supertech HM is just fine if you don’t have oil seeps/leaks.

Back