2013 Hyundai Elantra w/Nu engine - lots of metal in oil filter

Bad bad when you see sparkles in the sunlight in that filter media.
I wish the video would show how many and how large the chips are. Video is no substitute for seeing it first hand. If I had a macro lens, I would take a few closeups and you'd be amazed.

Bad bad when you see sparkles in the sunlight in that filter media.
You will always see some metal in a used filter, but you shouldn't see what I saw in this one. That's why I try to encourage users here to not only cut their filters to inspect, but take it a step further and separate the media, then stretch it out in the bright sunlight. You'll be amazed what you see.

^^Agree. There's not much point opening a good spin-on filter (not necessary with a cartridge) unless to see what it has captured. You'll see more if you remove most of the oil, which can obscure small particles.

I let the media drain for a couple days, then stretch it out to see what's in it.
To be more thorough, you can wick out nearly all the oil with absorbent material, before or after stretching. I generally can find very few if any particles large enough to see (without a microscope). The very first time I cut open a filter, long ago, I was kinda disappointed to find so little of anything captured.

I generally can find very few if any particles large enough to see (without a microscope).
Are you using bright sunlight? I was bored with stretching the media in the garage, because I didn't see much. Taking the media into the bright sunlight is when things start to get real exciting.

Are you using bright sunlight? ... Taking the media into the bright sunlight is when things start to get real exciting.
Yes, usually.
To clarify a bit, I meant I can see very few if any shiny metallic particles; there are always some black specks.
Maybe 3 or so tiny metal ones typically in filters from the Mazda listed below.

Engine should be covered under lifetime warranty
Whose lifetime? In a sense it is a lifetime warranty, only they determine lifetime as duration of powertrain warranty.
There are better engines out there with other car makers so chose your poison.
I have two Kias and running them for 7+ years since new but I don't plan on running them past 10 year mark, will replace at 10 years or sooner.

I just got a mailer from Hyundai yesterday regarding doing a software update to the knock sensors on my 2.0 NU Tuscon.

They also had a bunch of Hyundai vehicles that are getting lifetime engine warranty, you may want to check that out.

I found it Odd because we have a 17 Tuscon, they didn't list the 17 on the list of recalled, only the 15, 16, and 18.

Anyways they want me to bring the car in for the PCM flash.

Whose lifetime? In a sense it is a lifetime warranty, only they determine lifetime as duration of powertrain warranty.
There are better engines out there with other car makers so chose your poison.
I have two Kias and running them for 7+ years since new but I don't plan on running them past 10 year mark, will replace at 10 years or sooner.
If reference to the lifetime, it’s as long as the car is still around. Unlimited years, unlimited miles.

I just got a mailer from Hyundai yesterday regarding doing a software update to the knock sensors on my 2.0 NU Tuscon.

They also had a bunch of Hyundai vehicles that are getting lifetime engine warranty, you may want to check that out.

I found it Odd because we have a 17 Tuscon, they didn't list the 17 on the list of recalled, only the 15, 16, and 18.

Anyways they want me to bring the car in for the PCM flash.
I received two of the same mailers for the vehicles in my signature and called Hyundai. My 2013 SFS 2.0T already has the Lifetime Warranty from the 2019 knock sensor software upgrade so i don't need this one to maintain it. The 2021 Tucson 2.0 Nu is not part of the program. So i would call to confirm if your 2017 is.
HyundaiThetaEngineSettlement.com or call (800) 633-5151.

I found the first sentence below to be interesting...

Found in the first sentence of the third paragraph in the (blue) portion of pamphlet mailer titled Lifetime Warranty:
20210921_173009.jpg

Last edited:
Back