2013 Hyundai Elantra w/Nu engine - lots of metal in oil filter

wwillson

Staff member
This 2013 Hyundai Elantra has been owned by us since new. It had about 105,000 miles when this oil filter was pulled and about 5,000 miles on the oil filter. We have already filled out and sent in the extended warranty paperwork Hyundai sent to us.

This is the most metal I have ever seen in an oil filter by an order of magnitude. The oil was an off the shelf oil that shall remain unnamed, because the engine coming apart has nothing to do with the oil. I wish I had cut an earlier filter so I would know how long this engine has been shedding metal.

Last edited:
That looks just as bad as my Ford 3.8l that self distracted before 100K
It’s known a small portion of these Hyundai motors will suffer a early death even with maintenance due to a manufacturing defect. Type of oil used makes no difference.
Sorry to see this. Hopefully you will be back on the road in no time.

28583ADE-8347-447E-B6C7-E8AD9222117B.jpeg
496CBFCA-1081-43EF-B2EC-2B656CE28171.jpeg

2968A863-86E3-4E38-B241-2F843506B97A.jpeg

The 2.4 Theta II in my daughter's 2011 Sonata just took the big dump last Sunday at just over 80K. Had full syn 5w20 or 5w30 its whole life, and had never gone further than 5K on an oil change. I'd cut the filter open on that one at it's last LOF less than a thousand miles ago and it was spotless. At any rate, if yours hasn't quit yet, it's about to.

will you do a uoa just so you can see exactly whats going on. dont have to post it.
I think that depends on the particle size of the metal. My understanding is that UOA's only capture particles within a specified size range.

Isn’t that the Nu or Beta engine? The Thetas were 2.0T and 2.4. They mostly went in Sonatas, Optimas, Sorentos, Santa Fe, Sedona and a couple of others.

Last edited:
Yes, I will send a sample in when the oil gets to a few thousand miles.

I'm thinking the uoa probably won't show much, with large fragment metal like that.

Wayne, was the engine making any noise/ Like piston slap?

I have a '13 elantra also. I have read a few reports online about the moly skirts wearing off, then the piston to bore being to great and the piston rocking in the bore and scoring it.

Isn’t that the Nu or Beta engine? The Thetas were 2.0T and 2.4. They mostly went in Sonatas, Optimas, Sorentos, Santa Fe, Sedona and a couple of others.
There is a Hyundai engine timeline on wikipedia, it's confusing which engine this is.

The 2.4 Theta II in my daughter's 2011 Sonata just took the big dump last Sunday at just over 80K. Had full syn 5w20 or 5w30 its whole life, and had never gone further than 5K on an oil change. I'd cut the filter open on that one at it's last LOF less than a thousand miles ago and it was spotless. At any rate, if yours hasn't quit yet, it's about to.
Your daughter is lucky, lifetime engine warranty.

I think that depends on the particle size of the metal. My understanding is that UOA's only capture particles within a specified size range.
true but you'll still see a ton of particles when chunks rip off as a result accompanying it.

Back