2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 excessive oil use

Ok I am up where my son goes to school in Minn, with my semi ,, I borrow his car to run errands and do grocery shopping , I know he is coming home this week end, so i play good dad and fill his car up when I bring it back to him.

I pulled the dipstick and it was down over 2 quarts ,and I got him a few 5 qt jugs of oil and filters to service his car and topped it off for the 500 mile ride home ,,,,, when he was home he changed his oil and pulled a sample and it came back looking good and we have been watching it and its gobbling oil about a quart a thousand miles I also threw in a new PCV valve as I have heard the 1.8 L should be changed every 30 k , car is on a steady diet of 5W30 QSUD and it has 110k on the clock now .

I have a friend who is a Hyundai Tech for a dealership say we have to lodge a complaint with customer service and then do an oil study done by the dealer
He has had the car for year now and this just seemed to pop up as he changes hos oil every 4-5 k ,,,,,,
has anyone else experienced this with the 1.8 L motors

Well, I'm sure you are not the only one with this issue. And everything that you're doing sounds right! Right oil, right oil change interval(OCI), changed the PVC(well done), and had pulled a sample. I would log the complaint as your Tech/Friend said. However, do complaints only do any good while the vehicle in under warranty? IDK!

Does it make any noise on cold start up?

I have read of accounts of the 13 1.8 wearing the moly skirt coating off, and the piston exhibiting piston slap and oil use.
Mine has no oil consumption, or noise at 88k. I have always had 5w30 in it except for the first winter.

Back