2013 Honda Fit spark plugs loosening

For some reason this generation fit is known for their spark plugs loosening on their own; especially the #2 spark plug. Has anyone figured out what’s causing this? Or a fix for the issue? Thanks

Does it use compressible washers on the spark plug? If so, many mechanics are nervous to install as required, which is usually 1/2 of a full turn after contact (not a torque spec).

By crazy happenstance, just in the last couple of days a 2014 Fit LX has been added "to the family".

In my research on many things, I have found mention of this same issue.
I found mention that the original service manuals called for installation torque of 13 ft-lbs, while updated service manuals call for 20 ft-lbs WITH anti-seize (wet). That is a significant increase, and a move to the top of the range of generic recommended torque values for the size of thread in aluminum heads.

I have planned on doing more research and potentially starting a thread of my own somewhere (not necessarily BITOG) to get absolute confirmation that these values were updated and backdated for all engines and doesn't just apply to a particular model year or international variant of the Fit/Jazz.

The implication here is that the original Honda spec for torque was too low, so the factory, and any who follow the original instructions, are using "insufficient" torque. Now, whether 13ft-lbs dry should be enough and something else is going on - I dunno.

EDIT: Here's a POST I found quite interesting. The featured pic is inserted below depicting an online service manual (left) compared to a print out from a dealer counter (as described by the poster). Add to this now contradictory information where I see some manuals show the lower value wet, some dry, and NGK issued bulletins saying never to use anti-seize on their plugs. What a crapshow... (That I need to dig to the bottom of quickly)

20190117_144823_0__a0520e949654023770ac9d69d534d41dfe91d2dc.jpg

Last edited:
NGK recommends tightening plugs by angle. The angle is different with different thread sizes.

If any engine has been run with a plug loose, it damages the threads and it is likely there will be problems with the new plug coming loose.

By crazy happenstance, just in the last couple of days a 2014 Fit LX has been added "to the family".
I recently bought a 2012...... Just 22,000 miles on it.

I wonder; what are the clues it gives if the plug is loose? Ticking or exhaust-leak kind of noise?

It would be easier to check them if it didn't necessitate removing the windshield wipers and cowl beforehand. Not that that's difficult, it isn't. Maybe I'll check them at oil-change time.

It would be easier to check them if it didn't necessitate removing the windshield wipers and cowl beforehand. Not that that's difficult, it isn't. Maybe I'll check them at oil-change time.
And that cowl doesn't really like to go back together...

I recently bought a 2012...... Just 22,000 miles on it.

I wonder; what are the clues it gives if the plug is loose? Ticking or exhaust-leak kind of noise?

Taking the intake manifold off is a lot easier and gives plenty of room, takes less than 15 minutes (granted I've done quite a few spark plugs jobs on these)

Granted I don't have my hands on the car yet (any day now) I've been looking around online. It looked to me like on the GE8 you could get a socket drive but not a torque wrench into the area without cowl or IM removal (I certainly could be wrong). My plan, if that was possible, to hand check that they're "tight" and mess with it in the spring when changing plugs, water pump, thermostat, and a whack of other things.

My example has 175,000km on it. Anything I touch is going to need gaskets and could get "fun". It's getting cold, plastic is getting brittle and the car is needed as a student DD to a job placement right away in January. I have a priority list of work and cleaning on it to get it ready. I'm hoping the plugs are "tight" enough for now.

As an aside, mine appears to be an extra bit of fun I didn't realize. Lots of people consider the GE8 to run 2009 to 2013. But the 2014 is a GE8 too. Except in the US it was an EV only, but here in Canada it had the 1.5L (only). Finding out anything accurate in parts systems has been a nightmare so far, half of them don't think the car exists. I can't even trust to order a serpentine belt without trying to read numbers off of what's installed to confirm. Fun fun!

Maybe if I'm lucky they had the torque figured out by 2014 lol

Just installed 4 new Denso 3401 spark plugs with a small amount of anti seize and torqued to 20lb ft, we shall see what happens. Also new denso coils

Just installed 4 new Denso 3401 spark plugs with a small amount of anti seize and torqued to 20lb ft, we shall see what happens. Also new denso coils
I wound up doing the same as you, except I used NGK plugs (I didn't replace the coils though). Had the car on a couple good road trips since then, and all seems well. At least I know they're tightened to 20 ft/lbs and not 13 so I am sure it's fine.

Back