2013 Honda Fit - OLM @ 90% after 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandpa got a Fit last year in Oct.
It's not driven all that much and it was actually parked for most of the winter while he was on a trip. We do drive it occasionally around the neighbourhood to ensure it keeps a charge in the battery during this period of time.

We are approaching the 1 year mark and there is around 1200km driven on it with OLM at 90%.

From recommendations, the FF should be left till OLM shows 15%, but we are far far away from that.

What should we do?
Change it because it's 1 year and Honda says so.
Wait till it goes down a bit more like 50%(hopefully by next year) and then change it?

Give it a good highway run. Drive 12 miles or so and turn around for a 25 mile total run. Maybe go another 6-12 months additional on the oil. No biggie if it's changed now though.

Isn't the new Honda using 0W-20 synthetic, especially with FF?

Anyways, I've checked the dipstick and the oil looks like it was just poured in.

My mom bought a brand new 2011 Fit two years ago. The dealer told her to do the first 3 changes at 30% oil life, then change it at 10% oil life after that. Her first 2 oil changes were free, and I started doing them after that.

I do believe if you want to go by the maintenance minder, that you should use synthetic oil. My mom's seems to say 10% oil life around 8,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My mom bought a brand new 2011 Fit two years ago. The dealer told her to do the first 3 changes at 30% oil life, then change it at 10% oil life after that. Her first 2 oil changes were free, and I started doing them after that.

I do believe if you want to go by the maintenance minder, that you should use synthetic oil. My mom's seems to say 10% oil life around 8,000 miles.

I also got free oil changes with Honda. So I'm not too concern about that.

I'm just debating should I keep the FF in there longer than 1 year, because Honda already sent a reminder mail to us about that(which is probably automated). However, it also mention the 1 year/15% OLM.

If the odometer is at around 4-5K, I would definitely have no problem changing the FF no matter what OLM is at.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Give it a good highway run. Drive 12 miles or so and turn around for a 25 mile total run. Maybe go another 6-12 months additional on the oil. No biggie if it's changed now though.

As the FF is a special break-in oil, I would suggest leaving it in there until it's driven more. Oil does degrade over time, but not enough to drain it after so few miles and a relatively short period of time.

Put some miles on it and change it in the spring.

Would Honda be a [censored] and bring this up in later repairs, because of time instead of mileage?

I also think dumping FF at 1200km is very wasteful.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

As the FF is a special break-in oil, I would suggest leaving it in there until it's driven more. Oil does degrade over time, but not enough to drain it after so few miles and a relatively short period of time.

Put some miles on it and change it in the spring.

I agree with this. I'd leave the FF in, you should be fine until 30% oil life.

As the FF is a special break-in oil

The FF isn't a special oil. The reason we see different additives in a FF is from the assembly lube.

The OLM should take time into account. I think the 1 year recommendation is to protect cars that only see short trips.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
As the FF is a special break-in oil

The FF isn't a special oil. The reason we see different additives in a FF is from the assembly lube.

The OLM should take time into account. I think the 1 year recommendation is to protect cars that only see short trips.

I thought about sending a break in fill of mine to be analyzed. I assemble Honda air cooled bike motors with vaseline.

I would change the oil down here... why? Humidity is never below 60 and usually above 90.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
After THIS THREAD, I have no confidence in Honda's OLM.

Why? What do you think the OLM should say at about 750 miles, if not 90%?

I think the OLM should agree with the service manual. If the service manual says the oil needs to be changed after a year, then the OLM should be programmed to reflect that.

Yet, in a recent thread someone posted that the Honda owners manual states the following. Who are we to believe:

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

It seems that the OP has the dilemma of which owners manual recommendation will not interfere will possible warranty issues in the future: follow the OLM or the time interval (one year) recommendation.

The only correct answer is to get it in writing from Honda. Chances of a warranty claim are ALMOST nil, but still......

John Deere tractors come with break-in oil and they recommend running it hard for 100 hours before changing. If the tractor is run gently during break in, they recommend changing the oil out and refilling with the BREAK IN OIL for another 100 hour run.

Yes. In a way, I am more concerned about the warranty part of things than the oil inside the engine.

I can even imagine that if I were to bring the car into dealership, they can just reset the OLM on me without doing any work.
It would be hard for me to prove that they didn't change the oil. That's how new the oil looks right now.

Honda recommends 15% or 1 yr., which ever comes first.

After warranty is up, you can do as you please.

Originally Posted By: onemig
Honda recommends 15% or 1 yr., which ever comes first.

After warranty is up, you can do as you please.

Hehe...

At this rate, the car might run out of warranty under 10k of driving.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

John Deere tractors come with break-in oil and they recommend running it hard for 100 hours before changing. If the tractor is run gently during break in, they recommend changing the oil out and refilling with the BREAK IN OIL for another 100 hour run.

My New Honda walk behind Lawnmower says to dump the factory fill after 5 hours of use. I dumped mine after about 3-4 hours of use over the course of 3 lawn trims and the oil was loaded with metallic shavings. Of course the mower doesn't have an oil filter, so it wasn't too shocking but the fact that Honda recommended I dump the FF early in a $400 mower, I do the same in my $20,000+ automobiles. Three new cars over the course of 13 years now have functioned flawlessly, engine wise.

Regardless of what the oil looks like, I'd personally do a quick drain and fill with new oil and leave the oil filter alone for additional use. That oil change should literally take you under 5 minutes.

Either that or start driving the car more. There have been users who ran their oil for 2+ years but they had miles on the oil, not two years and 1,000 miles on the clock... I'm sure the oil has plenty of fuel dilution going on as we speak.

Just my
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back