2013 Honda Accord K24W is not inherently messy to change oil on

I heard that changing oil on the 9th gen Accord would always be a mess and that it would always look like an oil leak because it will drip somewhere, but that is NOT true!

There was no problem with oil going anywhere it isn't supposed to go.

The only challenge I had was because I spilled a little transmission fluid when refilling due to the glug from the bottle and missing the funnel. If it wasn't for that, there would be absolutely no problem at all.

Oil was changed because the minder said it's time. I used Rotella T6 5w30, with a half a quart of Napa 0w20 (takes 4.4 qt) along with a Fram PH7317 (A02). The Fram replaced an undersize Prime Guard POF4612 (Sub-Prime Guard) that I had to hammer and screwdriver off, which is quite difficult in a modern Honda with an undersize filter (but is much easier when the correct size filter is used). In addition to the overtightened undersize filter, the drain plug was so tight a breaker bar couldn;t break it loose, and it needed an impact to loosen it!

Here is a picture of what the oil filter location looks like. The car has a plastic shield on the side opposite the metal side, but it's missing on the example in the photo.

maxresdefault.jpg

Those Accords are an easy service. The factory overtightens the filter, by the way.
I would be concerned acout the oil drain plug being so tight in the aluminum pan.
I do 25 pound feet and call it even.

Who did the last oil change, I wonder?

A 3/8 drive torque wrench is a must have when doing an oil change on those aluminum engines.

I would be concerned with the threads of the drain bolt hole, and even the threads for the oil filter.

Reactions: JC1
Those Accords are an easy service. The factory overtightens the filter, by the way.
I would be concerned acout the oil drain plug being so tight in the aluminum pan.
I do 25 pound feet and call it even.

Who did the last oil change, I wonder?

Probably one of those quicky lubes

The factory filter being overtightened is less severe because it's the right size filter, so there is more access to use some kind of grip, a wrench, or even the hammer and screwdriver

The good news is once you go thorough this process you won’t have to do it again unless you cave into temptation and drive into one of those quickie lube places. 🤣

Just a minor point of clarity, the Fram PH7317 is not a Honda A02 equivalent, that would be closer to (but not exact to) the TG. I and many others run an XG for 2x OCIs since the every other filter change is called for by Honda. Not saying PH is bad, it’s fine for this application though. My rationale is for an extra 2$ over the course of a year or 2x OCIs, I only have to do the messier filter part only once. Really comes in handy when changing during a hot Texas summer day!

I owned the same year and model, an Accord LX. In a warm climate, I liked using 5w-20 full synthetic and an XG7317 for two intervals. I like the typical Honda EZ oil changes. I sold the car mostly because I didn't like the characteristics of the CVT.

I owned the same year and model, an Accord LX. In a warm climate, I liked using 5w-20 full synthetic and an XG7317 for two intervals. I like the typical Honda EZ oil changes. I sold the car mostly because I didn't like the characteristics of the CVT.

I owned the same but was a Sport
Hated the start up boom and it had bad paint and the wheels flaked in two years
I'm super easy on cars.
I dumped it because I have had many Hondas and got tired of the interior noise and to me harshness over minor bumps
My first was a Acura Integra LS in 1986 and owned many since.
Never went back to Honda but may someday

What? o_O

The CVT in these cars is smooth and seamless! It works flawlessly.

I also didn't like the characteristics of the CVT in my 2000 Honda Civic and my 2015 Subaru Outback. It's just personal preference.

I owned the same but was a Sport
Hated the start up boom and it had bad paint and the wheels flaked in two years
I'm super easy on cars.
I dumped it because I have had many Hondas and got tired of the interior noise and to me harshness over minor bumps
My first was a Acura Integra LS in 1986 and owned many since.
Never went back to Honda but may someday
I have the same boom on start up. What Is that? I have a 13 Accord EX

I’m running Castrol edge ep 5w30 in my 17 accord sport no issues. After I dump that and the Fram ultra next fall I have 12 5qt jugs of Chevron supreme 5w30 I will start using

I like CVT's myself
But all the bad press makes you nervous. So far I have had no issues with 9 CVT cars
I think the larger CVTs seem to be good.

Subaru CVTs seem to be horrible.

Early CVTs seem to be garbage.

Super easy job to do on these K24W engines; transmission fluid change too

yes there is a bit spillage in the process that needs to be wiped off but overall an easy task to do for a sensible owner of the car

Also I’m using by 2 of these on my cars; I’ve never had of an issue of leaking at the plug or over tightening it
97FC46D8-92D8-48F2-A1A4-F1BF2604FCE7.png

Back