2013 Honda Accord front left wheel bearing replacement. How hard of a DIY?

I recently did the front wheel bearings on my Volvo...

1. The trick of holding the spring while you spin the wheel is a good one. It was hard for me to tell which side was bad, but this made it clear.

2. I borrowed a special tool from one of the members of swedespeed.com and that made the whole job very easy.

There are special tools available from autozone as loaners, but I don't know if they would work for your Honda.

I ended up doing both sides since I had the tool and it was heavy enough that shipping wasn't cheap.

I might just go with this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10539548&cc=3294155&pt=10923&jsn=12684

It'll make the job 10x easier.

I'll be at about $457 w/tax and shipping. Buying NGK Plugs, coolant, front brake pads, and rotors. Doesnt seems that bad.
Moog parts may be a crapshoot nowadays, but the time and effort using an assembled unit like that would save you would be well worth the 'gamble' in my opinion. I'd do it. Save the OE parts. If the Moog parts start showing signs of poor quality in a few years, clean the OE knuckle and hub, replace the bearing and reinstall at your leisure.

I have a 2015- so this topic is interesting. Depending on your skill I would look at oem bearings if they gave good service to begin with. Lots of shiny looking junk out there for replacement- I always look for the lesser names on fleabay on nos, they bigge names attract more counterfeiting in my mind. Either take the knuckle out and hond it and the new bearing to a local guy or get the whole job done with a new bearing and cruise another 200k.

Scissor jack (y)(y)
Well, now that makes me wonder what sort of tools you have. This isn’t exactly a hard job, but if your toolbox is lacking, you may find yourself in trouble. Simple stuff like a heavy 2-3lb hammer, a chisel, some files, sand paper, a metal hack saw, etc. may be needed.

I see you are in the rust belt, so the chances things going south due to rust are quite high. You need to be prepared to deal with such setbacks.

Well, now that makes me wonder what sort of tools you have. This isn’t exactly a hard job, but if your toolbox is lacking, you may find yourself in trouble. Simple stuff like a heavy 2-3lb hammer, a chisel, some files, sand paper, a metal hack saw, etc. may be needed.

I see you are in the rust belt, so the chances things going south due to rust are quite high. You need to be prepared to deal with such setbacks.
That was a joke..

Essentially the same procedure for my '87 Legend. The "hard" part is getting the race off the hub. Most people use a cut-off wheel and a chisel.
I feel like he usually spins it on round stock and heats with a blue wrench. Falls right off -- at least "on TV"

Back