2013 Ford Edge - over heat question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so on thursday i was driving home from work and my over heat alert came on in the dash. I pulled over and had the car towed to ford. has 8k miles on it. Right before it happened I noticed the AC turned warm on me, wasn't blowing cold air anymore.

Ford took a look, saw that the over heat tripped in the computer, but couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

is there something I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Z

I'd suggest you head over to YouTube where you can
post the question to FordTechMakuloco. He has got to be one of the top Ford factory techs in the nation!

Link here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r46_unyYk8

When you get an answer why not post back here.

I had a Pontiac Grand Am years ago that over heated a few times. It was still under warranty when it happened. I didn't want to mess with the dealer. I bought a new fan relay at Autozone for under $10 which took a minute to install. It never overheated after that.

I think the dealer doesnt want to fess up to the issue, and they are just saying it didnt overheat. I would go back. Dealers are notorious for denying things.

I take it the dash doesn't have a temp gauge? Seems the manufacturers want us to be able to observe less and less and just "trust" the computer.

I was thinking cooling fan too. Is the evaporator sandwiched in with the radiator?

Last edited:
The dealer said the DID see the it over heat kicked in the computer. but they couldn't recreate it. I'll take alook at the links, thanks guys

If it's an air lock, drill two small say 1/16 inch holes in the thermostat housing. This will let a small bit of coolant past the thermostat when it's cold. Should be able to top off the radiator with no air issues. This bleeds the air out nicely.

slomo

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
It needs a new cooling fan assembly, I have replaced several for this same concern.

This.... We replace a fair amount of those on the Edges.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Dealers are notorious for denying things.

The dealers get paid by the manufacturers to fix issues like this. Everyone in the service department is paid by commission. If there's anything to claim, they're going to make sure to find it so they can put food on the table. I don't know of any business that can make it by turning down money...

If it's a busy shop, they have plenty of incentive to turn down warranty repairs, especially ones that are notoriously difficult and time consuming, or ones that don't pay well for the time spent.

Unless the problem is clearly evident, they won't spend much time chasing their tail, trying to chase down an issue that wont present itself. That's a money losing endeavor--

If it happens more than once, then it's time to get serious about it.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
If it's a busy shop, they have plenty of incentive to turn down warranty repairs, especially ones that are notoriously difficult and time consuming, or ones that don't pay well for the time spent.

Unless the problem is clearly evident, they won't spend much time chasing their tail, trying to chase down an issue that wont present itself. That's a money losing endeavor--

Exactly, retail out of warranty work is much more profitable.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Exactly, retail out of warranty work is much more profitable.

More paranoia. Dealers are desperate to keep every sales customer as a service customer. If they go around denying legitimate warranty claims, they'll lose sales AND service customers willy-nilly.

As for the theory that they'll make more money doing a cash repair, the customer might just go to another dealer or an independent shop. And what if the customer can't afford the repair out-of-pocket?

I've been administering warranty claims in dealerships and making coverage decisions on those claims for my entire working life. But I'm just a guy on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back