2013 F-150, what to lookout for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at possibly buying this 2013 F-150 King Ranch (https://www.carmax.com/car/13812956).

They did tell me that although the truck is for sale in VA, it spent some time up in Maine and New Hampshire. Needless to say, rust is going to be pretty high on my radar. Is there anything else specific to this year or model that I should lookout for?

Edit: I do see it had a recall for the brake master cylinder. I'm still wondering about the reliability of the 5.0L V8.

Last edited:
That engine is the same as whats in the Mustang 5.0 Coyote. Been well regarded for that car making the cartoon road runner a grill ornament. I am looking at getting one latter this year and my local Ford mechanic says is the way to go over a older 6 or 8 if one can swing the $$$

Last edited:
No recalls performed on that VIN in the warranty history. Only open campaign is a warranty extension for the Sync Module. Lots of brake and front end work done under warranty.

Aside from a window regulator that was replaced under warranty, I've had 0 issues with either of my '13 5.0s; both were purchased at Carmax.

The 5.0 can possibly develop a knock due to to poor machining on one of the cylinders (7 or 8, I think). This usually shows up somewhere after 60k miles. In your place, if you love the truck all you need to do is purchase the Carmax extended warranty and you'll be covered if the engine quits.

Other than that one engine issue these are solid trucks....bdcardinal has a point though, many have gone in for early brake changes and front end work. But on the forums where I've read about it, these are also the guys that are driving it like they stole it.

My 2012 has been reliable and has no material concerns since new. It had a few defogger lines that were apparently scratched off at the dealer. As I always kept it garaged, it took over a year to realize that it didn't work 100%.

I can't comment on the engine past the fact it received high regard in the press.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided to pass on this particular truck. They did a walk around before transferring the truck and said it does have some minor, but worse than surface rust on the under carriage. I'll continue to search for something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back