2013 Elantra GT 1,000 mile review

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, hatchback, 6 speed manual.

I purchased this vehicle after many test drives and research. I was considering the Yaris, Fit, Versa, Sonata, Accent, and Prius C. I've always wanted a hatchback and a manual trans. This car felt alot more substantial then the others on my list. I felt that I wouldn't outgrow it years down the road as I would a fit or yaris. More of an adult vehicle.

My base model comes standard with cruise control, fog lamps, heated seats, satellite radio, keyless entry, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, 16in allow wheels, power everything.

Interior- I find the interior to be well designed. The dash is well layed out with ample storage. The arm rest pad slides forward allowing smaller frame individuals to be comfortable when rowing gears and opens for decent middle console storage. Two cup holders in the middle, one in each door. At 5'10 the back seat is comfortable with ample leg space. The rear seats fold flat giving me ample space for moving, which I'm currently in the middle of doing. Fit and finish seems top notch. Everything feels solid. No real complaints thus far. It has a AC cooled glove box. I've never tried it as I've found it comical.....

Exterior. I won't get into looks as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The body gaps are tight and equal as they should be. Chrome accents around windows add a touch of class.

Power train- It has a 150hp 140tq multi-port injection 4 banger. The clutch is very forgiving and makes rowing the gears a pleasure. At 65 mph in 6th grear the motor is right around 2,400 rpm. Gears seem just about right.....It's not a sports car and with the AC on is a dog. I should note that the AC is fantastic. The best AC I've had the pleasure of owning thus far.

Driving- While inside the car it offers a nice and quiet ride. The girlfriend and I can talk at normal levels at all times. Minimal body roll and the nose doesn't dive when on a exit ramp or taking a shape turn. Seems well balanced. The steering wheel has a button to change the steering wheel dynamics. Sport/normal/comfort are my 3 options. Each does have a different feel to it. Sport caters to aggressive drivers, while comfort would be good for highway cruises or with a strong crosswind. This car is by no means a sports car but handles better then your average econobox, such as all the others I test drove.

Overall- I'm very pleased with my decision. At 1000 miles I've averaged 38.x MPG. I've gotten as high as 46.x mpg, and a low of 35.x mpg. I don't drive very spirited and coast to red lights. I travel 40 miles total to work daily. 50% 50% highway/city. At 60 mph your going to get 45+ mpg all day. Very impressive if you ask me.

I'm going to change the oil this weekend since I have a free change from the dealer. I want to get rid of the break in oil.....

Any questions feel free to ask.

What I don't like- You cannot see the front end at all while driving. That seems like a trend with most new vehicles so I'll get over it. When I arm the alarm the horn has this soft squeak sound. Its pathetic and my girlfriend makes fun of it. If I don't use the steering wheel controls for the radio it can be a stretch to change stations etc from the dash. Maybe the way I sit, who knows....

IMAG0771.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

imho too soon to change ff; give moly a chance to develope a plate; thank you for the post; i needed cargo space and a tried and true engine; i am jealous of your car's mpg ,performance, and looks; enjoy!

How's the clutch operation?

A common complaint on Hyundais is that they have terrible clutches with very abrupt engagement. That makes it difficult to drive smoothly and easy to stall the car.

My Sonata is definitely the most difficult-to-drive car with a manual I've owned, and I've owned at least five. At first, I thought I just wasn't used to the clutch, but that clearly isn't it. I've since read quite a few complaints online about it referring to various different models. My Sonata does have a pretty good shifter for a FWD car, though.

Congrats on your purchase. We have this model here in Europe since 2008 but it's called Hyundai I-30. My sister has the 1.6 CRDI (diesel) version and can do up to 70 MPG (avg for the last 1700 miles is 47 MPG) with no cruising but no jerking the gas either. She wanted the 1.4 gas but I convinced her to get the 1.6 diesel since this one has almost double the torque which is always nice to have when driving mostly in the city and it has the chain timing instead of the belt.
The only problems reported so far in this cars are the sway bar connecting rods (they went in my sister's car after 3.5 years-no biggie) and a bush in the steering column(she didn't got that so far)
Overall she couldn't be happier about her decision

Good looking car, I wonder if the MPG's will go up as you break it in?

I wouldn't bother changing the FF early, these new engines are very clean, I bet at 1k miles you could dump that FF into another car and run it 6k-7k miles and blackstone would still say its good.

Originally Posted By: tribocessive
hyundai has made inroads in terms of quality between 2006 and now; they now make some excellent vehicles in design and quality.

But, people still complain about the cluth in the new Sonatas, which is why I'd like to hear more from the OP about his vehicle's clutch.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

hyundai has made inroads in terms of quality between 2006 and now; they now make some excellent vehicles in design and quality.

But, people still complain about the cluth in the new Sonatas, which is why I'd like to hear more from the OP about his vehicle's clutch.

They stopped offering stick after 2011 for the sonatas.

I have no complaints for this cars manual trans. The motions are fluid and the clutch is smooth. I haven't however owned any other cars w/ a manual trans. Only driven a few.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
If you don't mind, do tell what it cost you.

17,991 + TTL.

Sticker was 20k.

Dealer was forced to match prices as it was their policy. Other dealer had to email me price and I forwarded it to my salesman. Prior to the email dealer were stuck on 19,200. I actually walked out because I felt 17,991 was still to high. I loved the car and didn't want to lose it over 600 bucks which is what I was willing to pay. I came back a few hours later and the car was detailed and waiting for me. Its like the dealer knew I would be back.....

Another thing.... I went back 1 week later with my sister. She bought a 2013 Accent hatchback w/ auto trans. Loaded for 15k + ttl. That is a great deal if you ask me. She got to pick her outside/ inside color. In and out in an hour....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

They stopped offering stick after 2011 for the sonatas.

I have no complaints for this cars manual trans. The motions are fluid and the clutch is smooth. I haven't however owned any other cars w/ a manual trans. Only driven a few.

Actually, I believe it was after 2012. The 2013 doesn't offer it.

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/05/09/2013-hyundai-sonata-gets-1-100-price-increase-drops-manual-opt/

They made 2 years of YF Sonatas (the current body style) with manuals. There still are complaints about the clutch action. It's not just the NF models like I have.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with it. Hopefully your opinion doesn't change as you get more miles and manual trans experience.

Enjoy it. I like that car and if I was considering one it would be he hatch with a manual.

Last edited:
5,000 miles

One free dealer oil change at 3700.

No issues thus far.

Averaging 36 mpg with my 50/50 city/highway 40 mile round trip daily commute.

I love the car, not the car payment.

please elaborate for us noobs on the moly plate thing, does this develop over time? does it stay there after you change the oil? can he just use another moly oil? thanks in advance..
imho too soon to change ff; give moly a chance to develope a plate; thank you for the post; i needed cargo space and a tried and true engine; i am jealous of your car's mpg ,performance, and looks; enjoy!

Congrats on an excellent choice. If I were in the market for a vehicle, the Elantra GT (base w/6spd manual) would be my first choice as well. The Ralliart's 18-24 mpg is getting old now that Premium is back above $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back