2013 Elantra A/T Oil Temp Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine drives a 2013 Elantra with 120K. It was due for a trans service (every 60k per the severe service schedule). Since his vehicle's build date was prior to 3/2013, I suggested that he also replace the transmission oil temp sensor harness while the fluid is drained (the stuff is pricey at $18/qt). After 3/2013, the oil temp sensor harness and the oil temp sensor are now one-piece (compare the red-circled areas on both pics). The failure rate on the old style harness is supposedly quite high.

Replacement of the harness requires draining the trans, removing the airbox and removing the side cover. Then the valve body gets removed. Once the valve body is out, the harness can be swapped. All items get reinstalled and torqued to spec, new gasket gets installed on the side cover. If you are not doing a flush, you will need about 4.5 qt to refill (.5 more than a normal drain/refill). If you do a flush, you will need about 10 qt total.

The total time taken is about 2-ish hours, but it was my first time. Not a bad job at all, and it is worth considering if the transmission is already drained and you are out-of-warranty.

CF42DDD8-6299-40FF-9D6F-7BEE4A979CCE.jpeg

457E5F2D-DB9A-4B55-B83F-C8F6F4FD0218.jpeg

0DCFEDC2-46CC-429C-B790-0AC1DD7320B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Side point to your post. Fell off my chair @$18 for OEM coolant. It will definitely be MaxLife for me when my Soul's transmission time has come. Can't do my own work in this condo, but another reason to stay far away from the stealership.

Originally Posted by csandste
Side point to your post. Fell off my chair @$18 for OEM coolant. It will definitely be MaxLife for me when my Soul's transmission time has come. Can't do my own work in this condo, but another reason to stay far away from the stealership.

It is pricey, but it does work. I did save a sample of the old fluid for analysis. The trans was previously flushed (by me) at around 60K so the fluid has 60k on it now.

$18 for the OEM coolant is very comparable to OEM coolant for Asian makes, especially since it is sold in a concentrate and not in 50/50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
It was due for a trans service ..... I suggested that he also replace the transmission oil temp sensor harness while the fluid is drained (the stuff is pricey at $18/qt).

The factory ATF is $18 a quart???

What other ATF is allowable?

Hyun/Kia SP3 rated transmissions can use ATF+4 ... which is much cheaper and available

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by The Critic
It was due for a trans service ..... I suggested that he also replace the transmission oil temp sensor harness while the fluid is drained (the stuff is pricey at $18/qt).

The factory ATF is $18 a quart???

What other ATF is allowable?

Hyun/Kia SP3 rated transmissions can use ATF+4 ... which is much cheaper and available

SP4M replaced the less expensive SP4 fluid. List price on SP4M is $18.45/qt, part #00232-19057

It is a synthetic product - lifetime fill under normal service or 60k under severe service.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static...7260727/SP4-M+Promo-Sell+Sheet-FINAL.pdf

Supposedly the OEM ATF costs less at the Kia dealerships.
I plan to drain and fill my Tucson with MaxLife at 30K miles.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. If mine does not fail under warranty, i'll change it after 100k whenever i service the trans, like you did.

Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back