2013 Duramax LML - OCI for very low mileage

I'm a little past 6 months on my Duramax OCI, and I have put on very few miles on my truck. Between the pandemic, not having anywhere to go with my camping trailer last year (first places were closed, then when they opened up, I couldn't book anything), and getting a commuter beater this past fall, meaning even less in town driving for the truck. it probably will barely register 25% of use on the OLM by the time one year comes around.

I am using T6 0W-40 with a Hastings/Baldwin filter. Should I still change the oil at the one year mark, or am I good to extend this OCI? If I do, by how much could I comfortably extend it?

I'm a little past 6 months on my Duramax OCI, and I have put on very few miles on my truck. Between the pandemic, not having anywhere to go with my camping trailer last year (first places were closed, then when they opened up, I couldn't book anything), and getting a commuter beater this past fall, meaning even less in town driving for the truck. it probably will barely register 25% of use on the OLM by the time one year comes around.

I am using T6 0W-40 with a Hastings/Baldwin filter. Should I still change the oil at the one year mark, or am I good to extend this OCI? If I do, by how much could I comfortably extend it?
It's really hard to say without knowing how the truck was used in that period. If you short-tripped it most of the year, I'd definitely change it at the year point. But if it was driven only on the highway I might be tempted to run it a little longer. How many miles are we talking, and what sort of duty?

Ive put all my diesels on two year OCIs, without concern or issue. Unless you see that fuel dilution is an issue in your engine (via UOA), I wouldn’t think twice about two year intervals...

It's really hard to say without knowing how the truck was used in that period. If you short-tripped it most of the year, I'd definitely change it at the year point. But if it was driven only on the highway I might be tempted to run it a little longer. How many miles are we talking, and what sort of duty?

Since my last oil change over the summer, I figure likely 2,000 miles will be put on total by the time a year is up. The trips done so far do have a few short trips in there, without adequate warm up, but there are definitely more longer drive drips, though these have been within the city, moving stuff , dump runs (virtually none of these loads I would say are truly heavy, just bulky). Majority of the distance on city streets, at city speeds, though some short highway runs.

When warmer weather arrives, I anticipate some of the trips will be good highway runs while towing, though travel this year will likely be much less than a normal year.

Time or mileage, whichever comes 1st.

If you want the answer, UOA the oil and keep driving on it if the UOA data is good.

I'd probably change the filter, top it off, and keep driving. You might be able to get down to 50% on the oil before changing it next year. I ignore time in my situation because of the garage and warm climate down here.

Not that Hasting/Baldwin make bad filters, they just haven't released a full range of synthetic media filters. I'd lean toward a synth media filter and not worry about cellulose filter shortcomings over extended time intervals.

Back