2013 Delo 400????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have probably 8 gallons of Delo I bought within the last 2 months from the local Auto Zone. I didn't notice till I was at TSC the other night and was going to by the DELO they had there was a date that said 02/17/09. So I checked the jugs I had at home the 1 gallon jugs are from 02/20/13 and the 5 gallon bucket is from FEB 2014. Would this be okay to run or is it bad and I wasted $130 in oil.

Yeah, un-huh
smile.gif

The engine does not know. The crude was in the ground for a few million years, before refining. If it has not been frozen, it's fine - enjoy
smile.gif

Most oil manufacturers give an oil 5 years of shelf life. But here was a member who ran really old Castrol oil (don't quote me on that) that was a few decades old. He ran it in a modern engine for a normal OCI and UOA came back looking very good. So you will DEFINITELY cause zero damage to your engine. In fact - that older formulation could have a higher dosage of additives than the current 2017 offerings, giving better protection and less worries about emissions.

I'd run that stuff without thinking twice, I keep buying the Delo 400LE 5w40 CJ-4/SM whenever I find it on a shelf at Walmart just to avoid CK-4.

Better not run that in a new Ram with a Cummins. They want a 6 month time stipulation on the oil change index. That oil is expired, pour it down the drain before it destroys an engine.

Never pour oil down the drain. What planet do you live on ...

Recycle, or box up and send to me. I'll pay you. I don't have anything new enough to need "special" oil
laugh.gif

LOL, ya I was facetious to say the least! In reference, I was inciting some oil debate a while back on Cumminsforum about the Ram oil change index, 24,000km, 500 hours or 6 months. As we all know, proven fact that oil goes bad in 6 months when placed in an engine sump. But perhaps in a sealed plastic container it might last a little longer.

I put some November 2011 dated Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 in my Cummins recently, granted I won’t extend the interval with it but it was free from a friend who got rid of his diesel so it should be fine to go 5k. I shook the bottles up good before putting it in and it looked fine.

Ok so just FYI I did change the oil yesterday to 2.5 gallons of the Feb. 2013 Delo I had. After 200 miles thus far in my 2016 Duramax that is Emissions free and it's the only oil I've tried that I don't have typewriter tick with. I've used Cenpeco, Amsoil 15w40 signature, Rotella T6 and T4 and I'm happy to report no typewriter tick with this old stock Delo. I drive usually 150 miles a day 7 days a week. I've had typewriter tick since new when engine is at operating temp. Also I've noticed the truck seems to run a few degrees cooler and oil pressure is a little higher at 70mph than anything else I've tried. I despise changing oil brands everytime but the tick was driving me crazy. So far so good despite being older oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back