2013 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I tried the search feature and didn't find this question anywhere. If anyone is better at using search direct me to a link that would be great. Otherwise, does anyone know of any issues with the 2013 Crosstrek being hard on oil? The dealer keeps telling me 6 months 5k but I'd rather do the manual recommended 7.5 months or 7500. They run Eneos 0w20 at the dealer I go to. I don't have the oil consumption issue people talk about in these engines, as an FYI.

Just curious. Thanks!

Not losing sleep over it yet, just curious if TSBs or known issues I'm not aware of. I've been running Civics 12month 10k for a few years on Syn and when I pull the VC to adjust valves clean as can be.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
There have been no oil consumption issues with the 2.0 liter engine, which Subaru puts in the Crosstrek.

That's incorrect. Where are you getting this insane misinformation?

With no DI or turbo, the FB20 is not hard on oil. Don't know why your dealership is telling you 5K for the OCI. Subaru reduced it from 7.5K to 6K for the MY'15 cars. You'll be fine sticking with the 7.5K mile OCI since you don't have oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: horse123
There have been no oil consumption issues with the 2.0 liter engine, which Subaru puts in the Crosstrek.

Or rather, where have you gotten any insane contrary information? Of all the articles I have read regarding high oil consumption on Subaru engines, almost all of it has been in regards to the FB25 engine. The only exception is Consumer Reports, which made no mention of the FB25, but reported high oil consumption on the 3.6 liter i6. Some articles have specifically stated that there has been no oil consumption issues with the 2.0 engine.

If you would, please share articles that have to do with high oil consumption on the FB20. I'd be interested to read them, since you insist that I am incorrect to state otherwise.

Look at the effing tsb: 02-157-14r

Why would it specifically state MY2013 crosstrek if there was not a latent issue with oil burning

Also Subaru does not make an i6

Originally Posted By: horse123

+1. I'd like to see what he's reading that "specifically stated that there has been no oil consumption issues with the 2.0 engine."

This is the third post in two weeks about a Subaru dealer suggesting a shorter interval than SoA recommends. You're fine going to 7,500 miles on an interval.

And if you get those changes done at the dealer, chances are very high that they will overfill by at least one quart based on reports from others with the FB20 engine, even if it's not an oil burner.

Whether or not the dealer will go to bat for you if you ever have a Powertrain warranty claim is another story. Keep good records!

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
There have been no oil consumption issues with the 2.0 liter engine, which Subaru puts in the Crosstrek. But I think the dealership is wrong about the OCI. I'm pretty sure the OCI on the '13 Crosstrek is 7500 miles / 6 months.

Here is a great resource for specs on Subaru cars.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/crosstrek/crosstrek2013.html

Ha, co-worked took Subaru to small claims court and had a new engine installed in his Crosstek because Subaru still hasnt figured out how to do a proper ring package not machine blocks.
His brand new engine was drinking a qt every 800 miles and progresively getting worse.
They were going to do a half arse quicky hone job and slap it back together until I told him to insist on a new short block, his lawyer made a few calls and subie decided it was more prudent to replace the engine. He will never buy another subaru again after this run around, car with less than 15K miles and having to go thru all this [censored]!

TSB includes 2013 Crosstrek:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/subaru-tsb-for-excessive-oil-consumption-1600566355

'Owners should closely monitor their oil levels, and to report consistent drops in oil levels to their dealer, along with the relevant Subaru TSB number, depending on which vehicle they own:

2013 Legacy & Outback w/ 2.5 FB engine: # 02-143-13R. Title: "Engine - Excessive Oil Consumption, Piston Ring Wear"

2012 - 2014 Forester w/ 2.5 FB engine: # 02-144-13R. Title: "Engine - Excessive Oil Consumption, Piston Ring Wear"

2011 - 2012 Forester w/ 2.5 FB engine: # 02-147-13R. Title: "Engine - Excessive Oil Consumption, Piston Ring Wear"

2012 - 2013 Impreza w/ 2.0 FB engine; 2013 XV Crosstrek: # 02-145-13R. "Engine - Excessive Oil Consumption, Piston Ring Wear"

This Service Campaign is being managed by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and on a case-by-case basis. Owners of a vehicle that may be consuming too much oil should have a dealer inspect the vehicle.For more info or answers to questions, call Subaru Customer Service at 800-782-2783.'

Last edited:
I would say those with the issue are more unlucky. I'm sure most owners/vehicles are in the clear, as is the case with most tsb.

Yes, they came out with that campaign after, they were threatened by the Feds.

My co-worker had to do bring the car back multiple times, do their comsumption test, which they claimed was OK etc Not until he took them to court did anything happen.

Their customer service and follow up sucks!

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
This is the third post in two weeks about a Subaru dealer suggesting a shorter interval than SoA recommends. You're fine going to 7,500 miles on an interval.

And if you get those changes done at the dealer, chances are very high that they will overfill by at least one quart based on reports from others with the FB20 engine, even if it's not an oil burner.

Whether or not the dealer will go to bat for you if you ever have a Powertrain warranty claim is another story. Keep good records!

cheers3.gif

Lol they do overfill every time and told me it's normal to add extra to this engine as per Subaru recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back