2013 chevy malibu 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this car with 460 miles on it and found it was one of the cars with the possible engine piston issue that GM released a TSB for. at check nothing was noted out of the ordinary. The car takes longer to crank before it starts than I am used to . Also today at a stoplight the engine clearly missed as the RPM dropped about 200 rpms and quickly rebounded. the car runs premium fuel and 5w20 Mobil one oil. Acceleration is fine and the engine is quiet from what I can tell. While none of these issues is major because of the potential engine issue they concern me. Anyone with this car or engine experience anything out of the ordinary? Thanks

That sucks man. Honestly that is unacceptable for the amount of money im sure you payed. Id take it back. Its bad business to sell people a piece of [censored] and just imagine how bad its gonna be down the road if it already has issues with only 400 miles on it. Think about it.

Btw, that goes for any car not just chevy. Im not hatin, just telling you to get what you payed for. Perfection.

Last edited:
Let it fail like it sounds like it's going to, and let GM figure it out. You have a 3/36 B2B warranty, and a 5/100 powertrain warranty. GM's been pretty good about honoring that powertrain warranty on obvious issues. I recently had a clearly failing waterpump replaced on my Cruze at 78k miles at no cost to me.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since when does a 2.5 malibu run premium fuel?

+1, try some regular from a www.toptiergas.com retailer. Nice that you have a long powertrain warranty.

This time of year you could have a little slush in the gas. Little crystals of ice floating in the fuel. Premium might not be any better than regular when you think most people use regular and the premium might sit around more.

Anyway this sounds more like a fuel or ignition glitch and with the weather we're having I am not surprised.

Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
I purchased this car with 460 miles on it and found it was one of the cars with the possible engine piston issue that GM released a TSB for.

Do you have any more information about the TSB, specifically, the number.

I am looking through the service information right now and I am not seeing any TSBs related to piston concerns. There was a campaign (not a TSB) for a small number of vehicles over the summer, but they all received a definite required repair, not an inspection.

your perception of a miss is subjective at best. did a check engine light come on with the respective code? or are you just speculating?

whats your definition of "it took a long time to crank?" 2 seconds? 12 seconds?

If that 2.5 is like other Ecotec 4-bangers, it has an auto-start sequence once you hit the key to the start position. It could be taking a bit longer in the cold weather. My Cruze sure is, and it's quite normal. The car will take longer to start at 0*F than at 32*F. If the car is outside, the engine and battery have been cold-soaking all night. That alone will make starting take longer.

For the miss, see if it does it again. If not, ignore it.

Lastly, the 2.0 turbo engine will see better performance on premium. The "merely" DI 2.5 may see better performance, although I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since when does a 2.5 malibu run premium fuel?

Since the owner thinks it's needed... Mostly wastes money, and can cause slightly sluggish performance...

The throttle response is certainly better with premium fuel even though it is not required. Same with the 1.4 turbo in my Cruze. Better response. I suspect I probably am wasting money for marginal gains but I waste more money on other things and I feel better . I use Shell premium in the Cruze and stopped at a local speedway for the last fill on the Malibu so maybe I did get some snow in the fuel or something . No issues today . I had read that occasionally the 2.5 was a rough idler. not sure why . Ill try and get the TSB number. It was on a chevy forum and I don't have it right in front of me.. Thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back