2013 Accord initial change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2013 Accord and this is my first experience with my car telling me when it needs it's oil changed. I've read several posts that indicate the initial oil is a little different and I should leave it in until I have 15% life left. However, I'm at 9000 miles and it says I still have 30%? Can someone give me an explanation of how it determines the remaining life of the oil?

I plan on using Pennzoil Platinum and Purolator Pure one filters. Any reason not to in this model?

Thanks

You should be fine at 9000. Most people go at least 5000 miles. PP should be fine. I would use a Fram filter or Honda OEM.

I would change it now.
9K is plenty on the factory fill regardless of what Honda says.
PP and Pureone should work well.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would change it now.

This +1

Hopefully my '13 Accord V6 will be next week. I do mainly hwy driving, figuring my OLM will similar to yours as far as mileage vs percentage of oil life left. I plan on using M1 0W-20 and WIX XP filter.

Have you explored any other oil options other than the PP?
TGMO is readily available/affordable and is a very high VI oil with an excellent additive package.
Just something to consider.

I would change it now.

This is good solid advice. The maintenance minder is calibrated with conventional oil in mind, so you can safely follow it especially if using synthetic. I have followed it before without a problem, but I usually do 6K-7K oil changes just because I have a huge stash to use up.

Leave it in until the 15% left on the MM. Or even go to the 0%. You must be easy on oil and drive a bunch of long trips. The MM assumes you are using "Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with
an API Certification Seal on the container". (semi synthetic) "You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade". If you start using full synthetic 0W-20, I would never change it until the MM was at 0%. As always, stay on top of the oil level monthly and top off if half a quart low.

Quotes above are from the 2013 Accord Owners manual.

I would change it now.

Yep, sounds good to me. And fwiw, gone much longer on the FF than I would have. But, that just me.

I would change it now.

I agree!

It is really good to know that we have members on this board that have more experience than Honda engineers and feel qualified to advise someone to ignore owners manual instructions.

Quote:
It is really good to know that we have members on this board that have more experience than Honda engineers and feel qualified to advise someone to ignore owners manual instructions.

It (the OM/MM) also 'recommends' that the oil filter be changed every other oci, yet it's SOP at Honda dealers to change the filter with each oci. Based on that, safe to say Honda dealers know more than Honda engineers too.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

It (the OM/MM) also 'recommends' that the oil filter be changed every other oci, yet it's SOP at Honda dealers to change the filter with each oci. Based on that, safe to say Honda dealers know more than Honda engineers too.
21.gif

Do they charge customers for that oil filter?

This is something that will never be solved to BITOG member satisfaction until:

- Someone buys 2 identical vehicles

- Drives them both the same way

- Changes FF early on one and at Mileage Minder on the other

- Performs UOAs every 10k miles for 100k or so

and maybe not even then.

If I win the lottery, I will do it with a vehicle of BITOGs choice (that I fit in comfortably, since that's a lot of driving)

All that nonsense said, I'm in the change early club.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

21.gif

Do they charge customers for that oil filter?

Afaik they do, or it's included in the oil change price. Mine have always had an itemized listing including the oil filter price on the invoice.

Your point? Whether the dealer charges or not is irrelevant imo to the point that was being made about ignoring a supposed Honda engineering 'recommendation'. Only difference is the dealer too is ignoring a 'recommendation,' be it for financial gain or otherwise.

Edit: At least those commenting here have no such financial incentive if that is the reason, to make a recommendation.

Last edited:
I would wait until the OLM says it's time to change it, then use a Honda filter and the cheapest oil you can get in the Honda-recommended grade and API spec for the engine. AutoZone or SuperTech both make an API SN 5W-20, which is probably what Honda calls for. Or whichever "name brand" you prefer that's cheap, like Pennzoil, Quaker State, Havoline, Chevron, Valvoline, Castrol, Kendall, Mobil, Motorcraft - whatever, as long as it's API SN and 5W-20. The only difference between my suggestion and the others is that you'll have more money in your pocket. You and your car will never know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back