2013 4 cylinder Hyundai Elantra question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has one with about 10,000 miles on it. Has gotten several "check engine light" warnings which always reset the next morning and stay off for awhile. Code is for " miss-fire #1 cylinder". Service department can't find a reason so far. They have suggested changing fuel brand. I'm thinking probably the #1 coil on plug. Plugs seem to be reliable these days. A bad coil should show up when the code is read, right? A plugged injector could be caused by fuel of course. He could swap the coil with another cylinder but being under warranty he doesn't want to do this. Any suggestions to find the problem? Thanks.

Very shady business - that would have to be some very bad fuel to cause a misfire -
Look at the coil or the plug - or rather the dealer should - perhaps try another dealer since the car is under warranty.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Him or the dealer need to swap the coil to another cylinder.

Exactly!
Swap the coil from #1 cylinder, put it on another one and keep driving until the misfire happens again. The scan should tell you if the misfire changed cylinders or not.

mechtech2,

Please explain to me/us what a modern scope is and how it works.

My Caravan had intermittent misses that didn't throw a code and made the OBD tools useless. The garage said they put the engine on the scope and it caught a bad plug wire.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
mechtech2,

Please explain to me/us what a modern scope is and how it works.

My Caravan had intermittent misses that didn't throw a code and made the OBD tools useless. The garage said they put the engine on the scope and it caught a bad plug wire.

Realfixesrealfast on youtube has some excellent diag videos on finding misfires, and ones without codes set.

If the problem cannot be resolved your son needs to request that the dealer and Hyundai exchange it for a new vehicle that is identical. If they refuse then you'll need to invoke the lemon law.

Complain hire up to Hyundai different than dealer. Sounds like they need to contact factory support and learn how to diagnose the car.

UPDATE: Thanks for your comments. Son's car got another CEL today and was idling rough so he took it back to the dealer and requested that the #1 coil and plug be changed. Service manager said they would do that if needed. Service manager was very nice to work with, he had my son come back into the shop area and, while he watched, they switched the #1 coil with the #2 coil. CEL still showed "# 1 cylinder misfire". Further checking showed a bad fuel injector. Car was idling rough. Changed FI and all is well now. I thought sure it would be an electrical problem.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
UPDATE: ... while he watched, they switched the #1 coil with the #2 coil. CEL still showed "# 1 cylinder misfire". Further checking showed a bad fuel injector. Car was idling rough. Changed FI and all is well now. I thought sure it would be an electrical problem.

It's kind of funny that when the problem is on their dime, all of the sudden they know how to diagnose a problem properly, but if you showed up outside of warranty I bet they would change spark plugs, the #1 coil and only then they would find the bad injector. Just goes to show you that doing some research before hand is always a good idea.

It wasn't on the 'dealers' dime. It was Hyundai's got paid a more then likely a 45% markup on the part,their effective rate say $87.50 a hour and t9he flat rate time which might have been .6 PLUS diagnose which would be .5 to .8. SOOOOOO YOU do the math! Its great money I handled warranty 30 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back