2012 Versa 1.6l - Mobil 1 5w-30 EP - 14,000 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6l with about 71,000 mostly highway miles. Thought I'd give an extended OCI a try with the Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended Performance 15000 oil and a FRAM ultra oil filter. I decided to do a UOA to see how an oil would handle an engine with the Versa's tiny little 3.2 quart oil sump. In summary, it looks like the oil and the Versa did pretty well with a 14,000 mile OCI. It seems that it was always right at about 5,000 miles that it needed around a half quart to top off. Which is fine because I bought the 5 quart jug from Wally world and so I had a couple quarts on hand to keep things fresh. I noticed the oil on the dipstick didn't even start to turn brown until it had about 10,000 miles on it. The only thing I'm curious about is that the notes from the lab said their was extra iron. Not certain where that came from since this is an aluminum block. I'm guessing something in the valve train or maybe the piston sleeves? Also the silicon was high which is surprising since I have a Wix air filter. I've checked for leaks but not much to check because the airbox with the filter sits right on top of the engine and goes straight into the throttle body. It might just be a byproduct of how much air these little 4 bangers with the CVT transmissions need to suck in. The Versa loves to twist up and hold steady at a constant 4000-5000 RPM while you are doing things like merging onto the highway or speeding up into the passing lane. Then, when you let your foot back out of the gas it will settle back into a steady 2300 RPM at around 70 MPH.

Code:
Nissan 1.6L 4-cyl (HR16DE)

Gasoline (Unleaded)

Mobil 1 5W/30 Extended Performanc

13,000 MI OCI

COMMENTS: Thanks for the note on the cold sample. That accounts for the fuel -- no problem there.

Wear metals are mostly pretty good, but we do have some extra iron. Averages are based on just 5,600

miles on the oil, so chances are good this extra iron is related to your longer than average oil run,

and that's fine. Silicon was a little high, so just give the air intake a quick check for leaks or problems,

in case that's abrasive, but we're guessing it's not since aluminum is fine (aluminum is from pistons or

bearings, and it typically reads high if silicon is abrasive). Looks good! Try 15K miles.

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION MI/HR on Oil 13,000

MI/HR on Unit 71,000 UNIVERSAL AVERAGES

Sample Date 3/1/2016

Make Up Oil Added 1 qt

UNIT / LOCATION AVERAGES

ALUMINUM 4 4 3

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 17 17 7

COPPER 4 4 4

LEAD 0 0 0

TIN 0 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 92 92 66

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 1 1 0

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 1 2

BORON 37 37 42

SILICON 42 42 22

SODIUM 5 5 14

CALCIUM 1295 1295 1325

MAGNESIUM 732 732 531

PHOSPHORUS 720 720 704

ZINC 857 857 805

BARIUM 0 0 0

Values

Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.4 55-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.05 8.8-11.1

Flashpoint in °F 355 >365

Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3
TBN

TAN

ISO Code

EDIT::Fixed formatting

Last edited:
If you multiply the universal averages by 3 which would be almost the same amount of miles you did....

Your wear is actually much less per mile...

I would say do it again!

Agree, you are actually slightly below average ppm per mile on the iron and silicon, looks like the M1 EP and FU filter will work for those long OCI's with your vehicle and driving.

This oil and filter combination is what I have in my CRV right now and the plan is to run it for 12-13k miles. Seems like its not a big risk anyways with a 5L sump. It spends more time at 1900 rpm trying to torque along in top gear so I figured the 5W30 couldn't hurt.
Thanks for posting this.

I would do this extended OCI if I drove a lot of miles. No need to do more than 3 oci per year, but maybe a need to do 2 oci per year - Early Winter and Spring. I am loving Castrol Magnetec SS so much I could never imagine using any other oil; note that I have not been a Castrol fan since the 80s - This oil changed my perspective.

I always found it odd that those engines have such a small oil capacity. But, it doesn't seem to affect them negatively.

More data that 10K+ mile intervals are perfectly fine is nice to see! As someone who would likely still be doing 3000 mile intervals had I not found BITOG, this helps my decision to keep going with my Focus!

That's well over 2qts/litre - that's not a small capacity.
A Subaru running 4.5qts on a 2.5 litre is 1.8 qts/L and a SMALL capacity is a ford 5.0 HO running 5 qts on 4.9 litres - only 1 qt per litre - but that engine doesn't make big power like the 1.6. Ford makes under 50 hp /L. Lame by today's std but OK for a mild tune 2 valve V8.

Silicon sounds normal for Texas. It should be more dusty than Canada right? In any case it is not high enough to cause concern.

Keep a paper filter and do not tamper with it unless you are changing it.

Great report overall. What was your oil service indicator reading when you did the oil change?

Originally Posted By: HeftyJo
2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6l with about 71,000 mostly highway miles.

The only thing I'm curious about is that the notes from the lab said their was extra iron. Not certain where that came from since this is an aluminum block.

I'm guessing something in the valve train or maybe the piston sleeves?

Your crankshaft, connecting rods, camshafts, and most likely the piston rings are made out of iron, and these parts are going to be the source of iron.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back