2012 SRT8 Challenger, 14,600 mi, M1 0w40, RP filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second oil analysis for my SRT's 392. Previous interval was PU 0w40, this run was M1 0W40. Looks like its breaking in fine, I wouldn't really attribute any change just to the M1 vs the PU. In fact they look more similar here than VOAs posted elsewhere might hint. The M1 did hold viscosity and TBN better, I still think its a better oil than PU in the 0w40 grade. The RP filter is doing its job, but then its job is easy. New engine, top grade oils, there better be no crud in there! As for driving habits: everyday commute to work. At least 2 or 3 "fun blasts" per week. At least one long (1500 mile) highway trip on this OCI. I'm not easy on it, but I don't flog it at the track, either. Oil temps stay between 218 and 230F all the time.

Many guess it is from an assembly lube used at the plant, but regardless it is a feature of these engines.

The 6.4 is much more complicated than my 6.1, but is proving to be quite robust even at the track.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
If I owned a car like this I would never run any oil in it for that length of mileage! 6K tops!

This was a 5800 mile OCI. That's roughly where the oil change warning has gone off on both runs now.

But 'a car like this' really can go for extended intervals- that's the beauty of the Hemi and the GM LS series. They're the big ol' farm boys of the high-performance world. Nothing particularly high-strung about them.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Copper is from an oil cooler?

That's always the knee-jerk response, and probably true. Copper seems to "leach" out of brass fittings and parts like oil coolers. I honestly don't KNOW what material the little factory oil-to-water cooler on the 392 is made of, but it may be brass.

Copper is just one of those metals that I don't worry about unless its accompanied by high tin or lead, indicating bearing wear.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The 6.4 is much more complicated than my 6.1, but is proving to be quite robust even at the track.

Yes and no. Its got MDS when paired with an automatic, but its not used in mine since its a stick shift... and thankfully for me since MDS seems to be associated with certain timing chain failures in automatic 5.7 Challengers. Its also got VCT, but doesn't the 6.1 have that?

The things I liked about the 6.1 were the fact that it had its own block casting with some extra goodies like oil squirters, and it had an aluminum intake. The 6.4 is based on the 5.7 block and has a composite intake manifold- good for performance, but I wonder about longevity (yes, I know other engines have used them for decades now...)

Overall the 6.4 does fix the "peakiness" of the 6.1's power curve. Its got more low end even though it winds up in about the same place at the high end.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
mine since its a stick shift...

Nice, and I have to ask... Can you get a stick in the charger or 300?

Yes that Cu is disconcerting and the oil sheared a little. How big is the sump?

Id probably try running LC and see if it can help passivate some of the surfaces. Even though TBN looks good, something is causing the leach.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
mine since its a stick shift...

Nice, and I have to ask... Can you get a stick in the charger or 300?

Yes that Cu is disconcerting and the oil sheared a little. How big is the sump?

Id probably try running LC and see if it can help passivate some of the surfaces. Even though TBN looks good, something is causing the leach.

No stick in the Charger or 300, although when pestered about it (apparently he gets asked a LOT), Ralph Gilles has hinted that it might eventually be available at least in the SRT Charger.

You know what would actually make a heck of a fun package? The 6-speed behind the Pentastar v6 in one of these cars. At ~300 ponies, its not exactly a slouch and the stick would definitely raise the fun factor, even though its actual performance numbers are probably as good or better with the 8-speed ZF it gets paired with now.

Fill is 7 quarts, but I disagree on your concern with the copper. Like the GM LS series, these engines just show copper a lot of the time, especially early in life. Its not from wear surfaces, nor from anything that will fail as a result of the leach (or whatever it is).

Great report.
I keep asking myself why I blew off the hemi for so long. The more I drive my charger the happier I am with it.
A stick shift would be fantastic but the 5 speed auto hasn't really had me searching for more torque off the line.
The 5.0 mustang has had me drooling however the 6.4 mds hemi will get better mileage and a 6 speed manual is likely going to be the next pony in my stable.
I still love mustangs however the hemi coupled with mds is just awesome,and not available in my beloved mustangs.
As much as it pains me to write I'm challenger shopping.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
he hemi coupled with mds is just awesome,and not available in my beloved mustangs.

Just to reiterate: MDS is currently disabled in the stick-shift Hemi vehicles. GM just started offering their version of cylinder deactivation with manuals last year, but I haven't heard any rumors as to whether or not Chrysler is going to do the same.

Great report.
I keep asking myself why I blew off the hemi for so long. The more I drive my charger the happier I am with it.
A stick shift would be fantastic but the 5 speed auto hasn't really had me searching for more torque off the line.
The 5.0 mustang has had me drooling however the 6.4 mds hemi will get better mileage and a 6 speed manual is likely going to be the next pony in my stable.
I still love mustangs however the hemi coupled with mds is just awesome,and not available in my beloved mustangs.

That is one thing about the Mustang that I like and that is that it does not have the MDS. When car shopping before I bought the Mustang, I drove two new Challenger R/T's with the 5.7L and I could feel the MDS working on both of them and I didn't like how it felt. It was not seamless like the claims. It almost felt like the engine was missing every time it switched between 8 and 4 cyl and back again. It also had a slight lag in acceleration. It also didn't have as much power as the Mustang. Don't get me wrong, the Challenger is a bad [censored] looking ride that has enough power to satisfy most people and some day I would like to own one.

I highly doubt that the 6.4L Hemi gets better mileage than the 5.0 Mustang. I get 22.6 mpg driving around town and over 24 mpg on the highway and this is with an automatic. There is a reason there is a gas guzzler tax on the 6.4L equipped cars.

Wayne

If I owned a car like this I would never run any oil in it for that length of mileage! 6K tops!

This was a 5800 mile OCI. That's roughly where the oil change warning has gone off on both runs now.

But 'a car like this' really can go for extended intervals- that's the beauty of the Hemi and the GM LS series. They're the big ol' farm boys of the high-performance world. Nothing particularly high-strung about them.

Ah I misread ! I thought it was a 14k mile run. Lol

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yes and no. Its got MDS when paired with an automatic, but its not used in mine since its a stick shift... and thankfully for me since MDS seems to be associated with certain timing chain failures in automatic 5.7 Challengers. Its also got VCT, but doesn't the 6.1 have that?

The things I liked about the 6.1 were the fact that it had its own block casting with some extra goodies like oil squirters, and it had an aluminum intake. The 6.4 is based on the 5.7 block and has a composite intake manifold- good for performance, but I wonder about longevity (yes, I know other engines have used them for decades now...)

Overall the 6.4 does fix the "peakiness" of the 6.1's power curve. Its got more low end even though it winds up in about the same place at the high end.

Fixed cam in the 6.1, no VCT. It's the primary reason the torque on a 6.1 peaks way up past 4k and makes people feel it is a bit peaky. But with an aftermarket tune to advance the timing properly it really wakes up.

It is my understanding that your MDS is still there, all the same parts, etc. It is just disabled in the PCM so it never energizes the solenoids.

The copper is nuttin', they all do it. Just like my GM V8 fleet trucks which throw it like crazy when new. Sometimes OA tells us too much info...

Originally Posted By: wtd
Great report.

That is one thing about the Mustang that I like and that is that it does not have the MDS.

I highly doubt that the 6.4L Hemi gets better mileage than the 5.0 Mustang. I get 22.6 mpg driving around town and over 24 mpg on the highway and this is with an automatic. There is a reason there is a gas guzzler tax on the 6.4L equipped cars.

Wayne

I get 17-19 commuting (depending on how much fun I'm having), and a best of 25.5 highway (usually about 23) with my 6-speed 6.4 Challenger.

I don't much like MDS either, but its the way of the future and really does boost efficiency by essentially running 4 cylinders WFO and thus close to the most efficient path around the pressure/volume plot of the Otto cycle. On the Challenger, Charger, and 300, slapping the automatic shifter over to "autostick" mode locks MDS off.

Ah I misread ! I thought it was a 14k mile run. Lol

And I realized why- I put the total mileage in the subject, which is not what I meant to do. My fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back