2012 Pilot oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm a BITOG lurker, I've spent many hours reading the forum, which made me feel comfortable mixing oils on my latest oil change. I just want to pick the collective BITOG brain on my frankenoil mixture. My maintenance minder just hit 30% which is when I usually change it. This time around 30% meant a 6300 mile OCI. A look through my oil stock showed me that half a jug of 0w30 M1 AFE was all I had left, I don't even remember why I have the 30 weight oil, maybe for the snowblower. I wanted to use it up and just add a few quarts of the spec'd 0w20. So I went to WM and bought 1 quart of M1 0w20 high mileage and 1 quart of M1 0w20 Extended life, plus a Fram Ultra filter.

So I now have a mix of 2.5 quarts of the 0w30 and 2 quarts of the two different 0w20 offerings. Winter is coming within my OCI. Would anyone feel uncomfortable in a Wisconsin winter running with over half of the oil bill being the 0w30? My only concern would be the variable cylinder management system being unhappy with the thicker oil at running temp. I'm pretty sure it's fine. I've always changed the oil within the MM guidelines, and usually sooner. But this is the first time using a thicker oil. Should I have any concerns? I have also ALWAYS used either M1 or Amsoil, but many different ones from Signature Series to XL to OE in the Amsoil and to AFE, Extended Performance and High Mileage on the M1, usually matched with a Bosch Extended Mileage, M1 or Amsoil filter. It's a 2012 Honda Pilot with VCM and 126,000 miles. I know there have been problems with the deactivated cylinders sludging with the VCM system. I have no idea if this may be happening in my engine but the oil cap, dipstick and drain plug have always been absolutely clean and shiny.

Thanks!

Since it's all M1, I say mix away!

FWIW, I ran M1 0w30 last winter in my Pilot w/o issue. It gets cold up here and the car's parked outside.

welcome2.gif

Mixing those oils will be fine
smile.gif

You should get the VCMuzzler if you don't already have it

Mclasser, thanks for the optimistic words. I think it'll be fine, too. Can I ask why you ran the 0w30? I did it because I'm cheap and wanted to get rid of the jug that was probably pushing 4 years old. Did you have a specific reason for using it?

Slacktide, I have read about the VCMuzzler. I just want to do a tad more research to make sure that it won't have any unintended consequences. I have also read posts about a more DIY solution but it results in a warning light being on all the time. I'll be looking into the VCMuzzler for sure.

What part of WI do you live. Big difference between Superior winter and Madison. Being from the Superior area, I know most there use 5w-30 and some 10w-30. I don't mix oils but you should be fine with your mix. At least they are from the same manufacturer!

I'm in Milwaukee so it's a bit warmer than the nether regions up North. We do spend a good bit of time in Northern MN and Northern WI during the winter. In the past few years we have encountered -18 to -22 for a few days each winter in those Northern areas, that's the coldest we drive in and just a couple times a year.

My 2010 Pilot( with 110K miles) was fine on 5W-30 through the Chicago polar vortex last winter. The previous summer I used Castrol Edge 0W-40 in hope of reducing oil consumption (about a quart over a 5K OCI with lots of short trips), but the car didn't like that at all. Poor fuel mileage and slow throttle response. I'm back to xW-20 or xW-30 and checking the oil once in a while. I'm not a fan of the VCM Muzzler, but I've never tried it. 5K OCIs seem better to me than creating false inputs to sensors. Lots of BITOGer and Piloteers swear by it. To each his own.

Originally Posted by qball16
Mclasser, thanks for the optimistic words. I think it'll be fine, too. Can I ask why you ran the 0w30? I did it because I'm cheap and wanted to get rid of the jug that was probably pushing 4 years old. Did you have a specific reason for using it?

Slacktide, I have read about the VCMuzzler. I just want to do a tad more research to make sure that it won't have any unintended consequences. I have also read posts about a more DIY solution but it results in a warning light being on all the time. I'll be looking into the VCMuzzler for sure.

With 126K I wouldn't worry about the VCM. If it hasn't given you issues, move on. If it's used I'd check to see if the timing belt has been changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back