2012 Honda magnetic tranny drain plug picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 V6 Honda Accord has 30,000 miles on it now. I did a drain and fill on the auto transmission at 15,000 miles to help get the break in [censored] out. The first picture is how the plug looked:

At 30,000 miles I did a drain and fill again and this is how the plug looked:

So both look about the same. I was expecting the 30,000 mile picture would have had less wear particles on it since it had 100% clean ATF and break in wear should have been way down. I'm planning on flushing the tranny every 30,000 miles from hear on out now. Does this wear look normal to you? Transmission is shifting well and the entire car is just awesome and trouble free!

Last edited:
I can tell you that my sisters 95 accord auto drain plug looks like that, and i do a drain and refill with geniune honda every 15-25,000 miles. At 165,000 Id expect wear metals to subside, but if that old accord is any predictor of future performance for your car, Id say no worries, because the old 95 still shifts like a new car.

just wanted to throw in the 2cents to be the pedantic guy and say a drain/fill and flush are 2 different terms.

with the D/F you're replacing maybe 40% of the total fill.
Maybe on the 3rd D/F you'll get something different on the plug.

Anyway, honda ATF isn't that expensive, especially since you DIY, so you might want to just keep up the occasional ATF changes, maybe potentially increasing the interval if you like.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry it was just a drain and fill and I did it twice as to get more of the old atf out.

This Accord is a classic design, I love the look of the car.

Nothing to worry, I am surprised it is so less, w/ all the break-in material. If it isn't a sealed transmission, I would do a drain and fill as a preventive maintenance.

Enjoy the Accord, it is a great design and cool look!!!

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
This Accord is a classic design, I love the look of the car.

Nothing to worry, I am surprised it is so less, w/ all the break-in material. If it isn't a sealed transmission, I would do a drain and fill as a preventive maintenance.

Enjoy the Accord, it is a great design and cool look!!!

Thanks! It is by far the best and most trouble free car I have ever bought.

This is how the drain plug in both of our Hondas look. I do 15k mile drain/fills as well, and it looks the same. I don't know what % of the fluid the magnet in the plug really influences, but when you think about the total volume of clutch material in the transmission, it's really not a lot of metal filings on your magnet...

Just d not use a flush machine on a Honda trans. A Honda "flush" is basically 3 drain fills. I usually do a 3 d/f flush at 40-50k and then one d/f annually to keep the fluid new.

No reason not to use a passive flush machine. Won't hurt a thing.

OP, note that 30k miles is about when the debris may taper off for you. But that magnet still needs cleaning, as does the rock catcher (filter). A flush is no substitute...

I sometimes just pull that plug, place a rubber stopper in the hole, and wipe the magnet clean. I try to remember to do that at every oil change. Who knows if it's of any benefit. I then do drain and fills every 30k or so.

I drain and fill mine every 10K. The magnet had about half the debris yours did, so based off that I would say its normal. Enjoy your ride!

If it is like the filter in my Honda Ody's transmission, you don't change it. At least not until you rebuild the tranny.

odyclub.com

Looks normal to me on a Honda tranny. Mine has about that at 30k and mine is the reliable B series automatic (on Integra and CRV). The filter is not serviceable and you will not need to touch it, just change the fluid on a regular basis is all you can do.

My guess is Honda use a ferrous clutch pack material and the magnet catch the regular wear and tear.

I did a D/F at 10K and @ 26K on the Civic. The plug looked about the same, much like yours did. Gotta love how easy it is to service the trans on these! Clean Accord BTW.

So you guys think a drain and fill every 30,000 miles from hear on out is good or should I do it every 15,000 miles?

I'd stick with a single drain/refill every 15k.
If you can find/replace the inline filter, change it every 30k-45k.

"PM" gears grinding themselves back into the "P".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back