2012 Honda Fit 96k Under Valve Cover

Time for spark plugs and apparently coils as they are corroded. Son did all of the work and we adjusted the valves, all exhausts were tight at about .006. Adjusted to .012, nearly all of the intake valves were right on .006. The cover was just removed so no cleaning was done, just snapped some pics.

Short of the original fill this car has had oil changes at 15% or 7k to 8.5k miles. A lot of this is short trips with some highway runs, maybe 80/20.
Oil has been Mobil 1 EP with Fram Ultras. Was not running quite as smoothly at times and the mpg has been dropping a bit to very high 20's and very low 30's.

Anyone have anything we should be doing while it is all apart? Had to order coils and have a AT filter to swap out.

IMG_20221231_141734631.jpg

IMG_20221231_142527537.jpg

IMG_20221231_142534133.jpg

IMG_20221231_142540723.jpg

IMG_20221231_180736779.jpg

IMG_20221231_180759924.jpg

Nice! My mom has a 2011 Fit with the same mileage, I did the AT filter (super easy) and was thinking about valve adjustment but it looks like a PITA to do since there is very little working room and it looks like the wiper cowl has to be removed to even access that side of the engine.

Careful on the spark plug torque. Lots of Internet stories of plugs loosening and even being blown out (ruining the threads in the head) if the loosening isn't caught. Original Honda spec seems to be 13 lb-ft which is circulated all over including in Service manuals from the time the cars were made. Honda appears to have revised the torque to 20 lb-ft WET (with anti-seize) but without much attempt to correct the old info so when searching or even looking at genuine publications you still find the spec of 13. So, 20 lb-ft WET is a lot more torque/stretch/force than 13 lb-ft DRY - like ~100% more.

The point being, if the job was done with the lesser torque spec, even though you didn't have a problem before you might suffer loosening now, even though you may have perfectly followed the specifications on hand.

Just added a Fit to the "family" last month and I've been familiarizing myself with all the gory details. I was going to do plugs until we found from a local dealer that the dealer changed the plugs just a few months before the purchase, so I've left it alone until I'm in there for valve clearance adjustment and such in the spring.

Careful on the spark plug torque. Lots of Internet stories of plugs loosening and even being blown out (ruining the threads in the head) if the loosening isn't caught. Original Honda spec seems to be 13 lb-ft which is circulated all over including in Service manuals from the time the cars were made.
I just bought a 2012 a couple months ago..... Just 22,000 miles on it so it still looks, drives and smells like a new car inside and out.

I keep reading about the spark plug issue.... I wonder if it's worth the effort to check them? I tend to think the torque wrench would just click regardless whether I set it at 13 or 20 unless something was REALLY terribly loose.

I just bought a 2012 a couple months ago..... Just 22,000 miles on it so it still looks, drives and smells like a new car inside and out.

I keep reading about the spark plug issue.... I wonder if it's worth the effort to check them? I tend to think the torque wrench would just click regardless whether I set it at 13 or 20 unless something was REALLY terribly loose.

Wow that sounds like a great find.

My $.02 -- Yes, I'd check them. But... I've been using a beam type torque wrench for plugs for a while and would probably do the same on the Fit. Instead of just twisting waiting for a click you can see the various phasing of torquing - mating, crush washer, thread stretch - and keep an eye on whether anything is amiss. Unfortunately on the GE Fit it looks like the process for changing the plugs involves pulling the cowl out of the way, and potentially the IM. But I've also seen videos where people with the right extensions have at least been able to get a socket and drive onto the plugs without all that - but not necessarily able to pull out and change the plugs. Point being - if you're just checking whether they're tight you might be able to skip pulling the cowl, IM, etc...etc... if you're lucky. Feeling lucky? :)

I would be inclined to at least get a socket and drive on them and check if they're "tight" (subjectively, even with no torque wrench). If any of them seem subjectively "loose", then I'd tear into the whole job - remove parts to gain access, assess whether there was any contact erosion due to overheating etc...etc...

My $.02 -- Yes, I'd check them. But... I've been using a beam type torque wrench for plugs for a while and would probably do the same on the Fit. Instead of just twisting waiting for a click you can see the various phasing of torquing - mating, crush washer, thread stretch - and keep an eye on whether anything is amiss. Unfortunately on the GE Fit it looks like the process for changing the plugs involves pulling the cowl out of the way, and potentially the IM. But I've also seen videos where people with the right extensions have at least been able to get a socket and drive onto the plugs without all that - but not necessarily able to pull out and change the plugs. Point being - if you're just checking whether they're tight you might be able to skip pulling the cowl, IM, etc...etc... if you're lucky. Feeling lucky? :)

Sounds good to me.

Someone in another thread mentioned those plastic windshield cowl pieces don't always like to go back in in one piece..... That would be just my luck, breaking something like that while checking an item which ordinarily shouldn't need to be touched this soon. But, at least I am fore-warned!

The cowl on those cars don't really like to go back together once they have been removed. The corrosion on coils tells me that you may have a water intrusion issue, so I would investigate further.

NGK says no anti-seize on the threads.

Was going to attach the following before, but had to dig it up. Yes, NGK says dry threads, but Honda says wet. Attached pic is a PDF of the official 09-12 Service Manual on the left, and an updated print out of the same page from a Honda dealer in 2019 showing the revision. This picture was part of a Fit forum discussion and isn't mine.

Since there's an issue with plugs popping out, this will be where things get interesting. When I do it, I'm probably going to follow the revised Honda directions, gingerly, and hope not to feel that thread stripping feeling. Honda's new recommendation is at the top of the range of generic recommendations by plug manufacturers for those threads in an aluminum head, from what I've read.

Attachments

• 20190117_144823_0__a0520e949654023770ac9d69d534d41dfe91d2dc.jpg
    20190117_144823_0__a0520e949654023770ac9d69d534d41dfe91d2dc.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 13
Go to carcomplaints.com for spark plug/coil issues . HONDA knows of it and does very little to address this problem . :rolleyes:

Sample of '09 >'13 ('14 ?) owners dilemma . Keep the faith . 🤞

IMG_9903.JPG
IMG_9905.JPG

From NHTSA

IMG_9910.JPG

CLICKED ON , 1 Associated Document , which is below .

IMG_9912.JPG

Last edited:
Back