2012 Honda Civic 1.8 - Valve Cover Pictures

2012 Honda Civic 1.8L - 101,000 miles.

The Valve Cover was removed to perform a valve adjustment as part of scheduled maintenance. Most were off by .003-.004;" I adjusted the intake valves to .008" and the exhaust valves to .010." The MAP voltage reading at hot idle is now .84v so I think my adjustment is now ok.

This car is owned by my best friend. I have done all oil changes except two. I always used Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 at 5K-7K intervals. May have went 8K once.

There was absolutely no varnish or discoloration that I could spot. This one looks a little bit better than the 2010 that I posted earlier this week.

5758BDD7-1F9C-45BF-8900-D4B00AF268D6.jpeg

B2C23630-A9AF-4CED-9E12-94729A4D2364.jpeg

82E3D8DC-8560-461D-97BC-A0F2C3C6CB47.jpeg

44DD6DC4-F5FE-4B44-B1A1-4C7C3AE5B847.jpeg

By chance how long did it take you to do this service. Getting ready to do it on the my lady's civic this weekend.

Its a Civic at 100k miles, you would have the same results running Supertech oil in this thing... they aren't hard on oil at all and unless severely mistreated, will remain clean and reliable.

Reactions: hrv
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Its a Civic at 100k miles, you would have the same results running Supertech oil in this thing... they aren't hard on oil at all and unless severely mistreated, will remain clean and reliable.

My 2007 Ford Fusion looked like that at 195 K with 10K OCIs. Replaced valve cover gasket. Oil used, M1 0-20. M1 oils are well known for keeping engines very clean, even at 200-300-400K at longer OCIs.

Last edited:
I have never even bothered to do any valve adjustment to my Civic, I didn't think that was necessary (I don't believe it's listed in the manual)

Looks like another Honda with regular services success!
Our 2006 TSX with almost 190K look similar. I never check the oil.
Well done Critic and thanks for posting.

Looks like my 2001 did, running syn for 10k changes. Happy to see they switched to a timing chain. My belt broke and the head had to be gone through. It used a lot of oil after that.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
By chance how long did it take you to do this service. Getting ready to do it on the my lady's civic this weekend.

About one hour including spark plugs. I do double-check each valve. I also fit the next size up feeler gauge to confirm that my adjustment is correct, so both of those add time. Be sure to clean the mating surfaces and add a pea-sized drop of RTV to the seams where the timing cover meets the camshaft housing.

Originally Posted by LotI
OP, did the valve clearances increase or decrease in the 100k miles?

My thinking is they decrease because valve seat wear.

For some reason, I've only seen the J-series V6 engines with that type of wear. And it is on the exhaust valves only.

All of the R18s that I've done always have valves clearances that are a bit loose when it is time for its first adjustment. Not sure why.

Originally Posted by Patman
I have never even bothered to do any valve adjustment to my Civic, I didn't think that was necessary (I don't believe it's listed in the manual)

Valve adjustment is required when subcode #4 appears on the Maintenance Minder:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...IVIC&year=2012&referer=ownerlink

Honda removed the "adjust only if noisy" comment for the newer models. It is now required.

Looks like any other Honda that's been maintained.

For some reason, the Fits get a little tight when it's due for a valve adjustment.

Back