2012 Honda Accord oil recommendations

Unless you're in the western mountains of NC, you may consider switching to a 5w-20 synthetic. That's what I used in my 2013 Accord. Many owners with the 4 cylinder Accords (non-turbo) like a 5w-20 or 5w-30 since it seems to "quiet" the motor. Otherwise use any name brand at the best price. You can easily go two intervals on the same filter, especially if you use a premium filter. Hope you like the CVT. My dislike is one reason I sold mine.

Originally Posted by RHALL

Owners manual says 0w 20, and I've never owned a vehicle with this requirement. What is the best oil to use? It'll be used an equal amount city/highway driving

Does your Owners Manual stipulate 0w20 as a requirement, or as a recommendation?

Is there a bad 0W20? Are you doing 10k OCI's or 5k or what? No sense in buying top of the line if you are going to toodle down the highway at sane speeds and change every 5k.

I wouldn't you would need 0W20 down there, an 5W20 should work just fine, but I've never seen a price spread at Walmart so I'm not sure what the loss might be.

Boring K24 engine with port injection. 20 or 30 grade doesn't seem to matter, olive oil would most likely get it to 300k miles. Change it at the MM and drive it.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I've run M1 0w-20 in two Honda Civics (2005 and 2010 models) with great results. The current Accord in our stable has the Earth Dreams direct injection engine that produces significant fuel dilution. It produced higher than average wear metal readings on 0w-20 oil.
My plan is to switch this vehicle back to 5w-30 M1 EP and never worry about it again.
Sorry - typo.

Originally Posted by supton
Is there a bad 0W20? Are you doing 10k OCI's or 5k or what? No sense in buying top of the line if you are going to toodle down the highway at sane speeds and change every 5k.

I wouldn't you would need 0W20 down there, an 5W20 should work just fine, but I've never seen a price spread at Walmart so I'm not sure what the loss might be.

The only good 0w20 is redline oil. All the others aren't robust enough for me.

I've run M1 0w-20 in two Honda Civics (2005 and 2010 models) with great results. The current Accord in our stable has the Earth Dreams direct injection engine that produces significant fuel dilution. It produced higher than average wear metal readings on 0w-20 oil.
My plan is to switch this vehicle back to 5w-30 M1 EP and never worry about it again.
Sorry - typo.

How does your Accord like the M1 EP? I've been thinking about giving the 10W30 EPHM a go.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Have you / are you moving your Civic to RL 0w20?

DSC_0020.JPG

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Unless you're in the western mountains of NC, you may consider switching to a 5w-20 synthetic. That's what I used in my 2013 Accord. Many owners with the 4 cylinder Accords (non-turbo) like a 5w-20 or 5w-30 since it seems to "quiet" the motor. Otherwise use any name brand at the best price. You can easily go two intervals on the same filter, especially if you use a premium filter. Hope you like the CVT. My dislike is one reason I sold mine.

I believe the 2012 Accords have a conventional automatic transmission.

Originally Posted by Vaca

Yep,12's are conventional.

A fellow I work with has an Accord with well over 400,000 miles, and he buys Honda brand oil and filters. I know Honda doesn't make oil and filters, and wondering if anyone knows who makes them.

Oil used to be Phillips/Conoco , don't know if that has changed recently - agreement was up to 2019 and the oil filters used to be made by Honeywell /Fram part#15400-PLM-A02.

But there is a new version of the oil filter part# 15400-RTA-003 and are made by Mahle Tennex Corp.

Originally Posted by Bud_One
A fellow I work with has an Accord with well over 400,000 miles, and he buys Honda brand oil and filters. I know Honda doesn't make oil and filters, and wondering if anyone knows who makes them.

Oil used to be Phillips/Conoco , don't know if that has changed recently - agreement was up to 2019 and the oil filters used to be made by Honeywell /Fram part#15400-PLM-A02.

But there is a new version of the oil filter part# 15400-RTA-003 and are made by Mahle Tennex Corp.

The RTA-003 was only sold here for a short time when Honda had a large surplus Japanese filters normally intended for other markets. They have since switched back to the Fram A02, which is very close to a PH7317

Originally Posted by Vaca

Conventional automatic or 5 speed manual like mine

Back