2012 Honda Accord maintenance advice at 60k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 V6 EX-L Accord recently hit 60,000 miles. I bought it new and have done all fluids myself to this point. I change the oil every 5,000 miles using Mobil 1 0w20 and Napa Gold filters, Have done ATF drain and fills at 15K, 30K, 45K and 60K using Honda DW-1 ATF. Air filters every 20K, Dealer did coolant, power steering and break fluid flushes at 36,000 miles. Nothing else has been done.
What all should I do now? Should I do spark plugs? Fuel filter? Belts? Valve clearance/adjustment? Anything else? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is the fuel filter serviceable ?
Skip the spark plugs until 100K.

Check A/C cabin filters.

I don't know about the fuel filter. I assumed it has one like most cars? Cabin filters is always changed on time.

You got it covered.

Sounds like you're on a very good ATF service schedule.
The Air Filters can probably go to 30-40k miles (they filter better as they get loaded up, up until a point)
Brake fluid change every 3 years.
Every year I use a turkey baster and suck out the P/S reservoir and refill with fluid until I go through three bottles of Honda fluid (BTW, many swear that Honda Power Steering pumps are really picky about using only Genuine Honda PS Fluid.)
Your plugs are good until 100k miles. Actually, they are probably good for longer than that. I just changed mine at 100k miles, and they still looked new, gapped perfectly.
There is no fuel filter to service. It's in the tank.
The OEM serpentine belt is good for 150k miles, easily.
Don't worry about the valves until you think you got a problem. I had mine checked, and they are great.

Do nothing until 100k at this point. I have 236k on a 2005 2.4 and have done all the same maintenance. Outside of some suspension stuff I may need to address, it's rock-solid.

I service my neighbor's 2010 Accord with the same mileage (62,000 the last time IIRC).

He (his daughter heard) mentioned buzzing at the rear brakes.
Indeed the glide pins were near bone dry and binding. One rear pad was crooked and the tell-tale was hitting the rotor.

We caught it in time. I went with a pad slap and pin clean & lube due to the evenly worn rotor.

YES on Honda PS fluid.
I do 1 gallon Honda coolant drain & fills. The radiator drain plug yields 1 gallon. I give the "OK" old fluid to my friend up north who dispenses it to penniless hillbillies free of charge.

Whenever I see the car it gets a 20 oz. bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate.

Look at the belts, and replace them if they look tired, but they are probably ok with only 60k and 4 years.

Other than that, just go by the MM. The OE spark plugs are NGK or Denso iridium and good for at least 100k (and they cost $10 each online (ebay/Rock/Amazon), $15 or so from Napa/Autozone/AAP, or $20-25 from the dealer). For that price, they better last 100k!

The only other maintenance item not part of the MM is brake fluid, which Honda says to flush every three years regardless of mileage.

I would do the Power Steering and Brake Fluids again. Those should really be done every 30,000 miles if you want to keep the vehicle in the best condition possible.

PCV valve, replace with an oem part or don't change it at all. Usually the internal spring brakes, I mean breaks around 60k miles.

Looks like you posted on the Accord forum as well. But this is also good advice:

Originally Posted By: MrRangerZr1;5499594
If you have VCM, get rid of it by using the VCMuzzler IF you are having problems with spark plug fouling, oil burning, hesitation etc. I would recommend disabling it even though you don't have any problems because once you start experiencing problems, its sometimes too late to get it back to normal.

Why not follow the maintenance minder? Sounds like you're changing the oil and coolant too frequently. The air filter depends on climate, but 20k seems short there, too.

With that said, everything I've read indicates that changing Honda ATF frequently is prudent.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I would use redline si-1 fuel additive. perhaps 1 bottle split over 2 tanks

I'm a Gumout with Regane user. I get the High Mileage stuff....it's got a higher concentration of the active ingredient (PEA, which is what's in the RedLine cleaner as well). You can pick it up at Walmart for $5 a bottle.

This is what I do: I buy 3 bottles. I pour two bottle into a tank of fuel, and then fill with gasoline. I fun the tank down HALF way. Then I add another bottle, and fill it back up. Then I run the tank down to half full, and fill it up. Then I run the car down to an 1/8 tank, and I'm done.

What this did was, give you one full tank of driving with 2X PEA in the fuel. Then another tank of fuel with 1X PEA. I have no proof, but this is what I do every year or two on my cars.

I've read on here before, that PEA works best when you're doing city/short trip driving, allowing for lots of starts and stops with "soak" time inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back