2012 GMC Terrain, 2.4l, GM Dexos ??, 5w30, 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my first post sorry if it doesn't look correct. I just bought this 2012 GMC Terrain, FWD, 4 cyl with a little over 40,000 miles. No know engine problems but I wanted to do an UOA on the engine. I did this through our local Caterpillar dealer who does the simple SOS report for only $10 which I thought was cheap. In the future I will use Blackstone. I have no idea on what oil was used it did come from the GM dealer so who knows. I have a daily commute for about 100 miles which is all highway travel. I average 52 mph on a tank of fuel which is fairly flat travel...central WI. The OLM was updated right before I bought the car and it now reads a max of 5,000 miles per OCI. I changed the oil the other day and just went to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic with a purolator filter. I still have the power train warranty until 100,000 miles, but with my conditions 5,000 seams low for the OCI. Let me know what you think.

Code:

Cu Fe Cr Al Pb Sn Si Na K Mo Ca Mg Zn P

3 26 1 4 0 0 9 14 2 61 2004 23 825 729

ST OXI NIT SUL W A F V100

0 25 18 32 N N N 7.4

Key:

‎Ag = Silver, Al = Aluminum, B = Boron, Ca = Calcium, Cr = Chromium, Cu = Copper, Fe = Iron, P = Phosphorus, K = Potassium, Mg = Magnesium, Mo = Molybdenum, Na = Sodium,

Ni = Nickel, Pb = Lead, Si = Silicon, Sn = Tin, V = Vanadium, Zn = Zinc, A = Antifreeze, F = Fuel, W = Water, P = Positive, N = Negative, T = Trace, E = Excessive,

NIT = Nitration, OXI = Oxidation, ST = Soot, SUL = Sulfation,

ISO = ISO Rating, PFC = Percent Fuel Content, PQI = Particle Quantifying index , NaW = Salt Water, FL Pt = Flash Point, TAN = Total Acid Number, TBN = Total Base Number,

H2O = Karl Fisher result, V100 = Viscosity@100C, V40 = Viscosity@40C

Last edited:
Wear looks normal , and probably still breaking in.

You can easily extend your intervals, except you need to make sure you don't go over the maximum allowed by warranty.

I would try 7.5k and UOA before running a 10k run on that engine, but with all highway miles it should be cake.

Either it was filled with 20-weight oil or the 30-weight sheared out of grade. The V100 number should be at least 9.3 to be a 30-weight. The sample is not showing any fuel, so dilution wouldn't be the cause.

Wear metals are OK.
I think you did well to change the oil so at least you know what's in it.
Good choices on M1 5w30 and Purolator filter.
Watch and see what the V100 does on the next oil sample.

I agree on the V100, my old Grand Cherokee had 9.3 with almost 7k miles. The guy I bought it from seemed to know his stuff, but the oil changes were done at the local GMC dealership so they could have grabbed the wrong hose to fill it the last time. I may still use the Fabco SOS program if you think these readings look OK. They mainly work in the heavy truck diesel industry, but a test is a test and $10 with free shipping is cheap. It may give me a good baseline for 4k, 6k, and maybe 8k.

I just received my second test from Blackstone yesterday. I didn't like the results, to much fuel in the gas and who knows what else. I will post in a bit.

This is a direct injection engine correct? Keep with the short intervals. GM shortened them in all their DI motors because of excess valve deposits.

What was the Blackstone VI? This is way too low to be a 30W oil according to the first report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
This is a direct injection engine correct? Keep with the short intervals. GM shortened them in all their DI motors because of excess valve deposits.

Not true at all. Do the research here and you'll discover a different reason entirely.

GM has been remarkably free of intake valve issues on their DI engines...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Not true at all. Do the research here and you'll discover a different reason entirely.

That was the reason given to me by a Chevrolet service adviser. Obviously, that's not the case. Care to share the actual story?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That was the reason given to me by a Chevrolet service adviser. Obviously, that's not the case. Care to share the actual story?

Nevermind. Found it. My Chevy guy was full of it...

timing chains, oil change interval, fuel dilution.
around 2010 they tweaked the oil journals? and some other things.
timing chain issues are wayyyy down.

Here is the latest UOA and this seems to follow suite with other GM DI engines. I'm going to pull a sample at 4000 and see how it looks. With the weather we have there is no way of not doing a remote start or prolonged warm up, sub 0 highs and a car sitting in the parking lot for 9 hours just don't mix.

In contrast here is a good report for our Town & County. This has a lot more city and stop and go driving.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Either it was filled with 20-weight oil or the 30-weight sheared out of grade. The V100 number should be at least 9.3 to be a 30-weight. The sample is not showing any fuel, so dilution wouldn't be the cause.

Wear metals are OK.
I think you did well to change the oil so at least you know what's in it.
Good choices on M1 5w30 and Purolator filter.
Watch and see what the V100 does on the next oil sample.

I did talk with Fabco and they do not test for fuel in the oil....why even list it then. I'm going to stick with Blackstone unless the next time I do them both just to compare the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back