2012 Focus or 2012 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet on the Civic since it's a rehash of the 06-11 Civic. The Focus, while a sharp car, has an incredibly tight engine bay that likely can't be good for heat-related failures.

Deal-wise, I'd bet the Focus could be had for less than a comparable Civic. And that money goes a ways to repairs.

I know my brother-in-law couldn't be happier with his 2012 Civic LX. Auto trans is the only option he got with his, but they come with pretty much power everything as standard now. The only issue I had is the dealers in my area wouldn't budge off of the $19425 sticker price, which to me is insane for a Civic. They are offering 1.9%/60mo on them though.

Joel

I would probably take a look at the Mazda 3 if I was in the market for that size car.

Buy American, get the Honda.
grin.gif

I would personally stick with the civic. I have owned several honda and Acuras and believe that the quality is still there even though they are not the flavor of the month with the critics right now. The quality and dependability are good and it is really hard to beat a honda motor. It would be an easy choice for me.

As far as "deal" goes the one you like better.

10-15 years is a really long time to own a car you do not like.....

My experience with a 95 Civic EX was great reliability wise over 9yrs/225k miles but I really disliked the car.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

My experience with a 95 Civic EX was great reliability wise over 9yrs/225k miles but I really disliked the car.

This really is solid advice. You don't want to be driving a car you don't like for 10-15 years. I bet both Focus and Civic will be quality cars, so buy the one that that fits you best.

Might want to check out Cruze and Elantra too.

While Honda makes a very good car I would only buy one with a manual transmission. I really think Honda needs to get their A/Ts from Aisin (Toyota) rather than design their own.
I own a 2011 Cruze and I just put over a 1000 miles on a rented 2012 Focus so I can comment on both.
The interior materials seem a little better on the Cruze. The doors and trunk close with a more solid feel on the Cruze.
The Cruze rides more like a big American car while the Focus is taut and handles very well. I really liked the way the Focus feels.
The power is similar.
The mpg's were a lot better in the Focus.
I have only averaged approx. 25 in my Cruze whereas I seen high 30s in mostly highway driving on the Focus. The Focus had 7500 miles on it when I got it and nearly 8600 when I returned it a week later so it was fully broken in. My Cruze only has 2K so that could be a factor.

I can't wait to take a nice long highway trip in the cruze, to really let it stretch it's legs. My dad will be driving to/from Norfolk VA, and then to Bangor, Washington here over the next two months, so I'll be sure to have him work out his mpgs on the trips.

Originally Posted By: pbm
While Honda makes a very good car I would only buy one with a manual transmission. I really think Honda needs to get their A/Ts from Aisin (Toyota) rather than design their own.

Thought Aisin was there own company. GM uses some of their stuff also.

What kind of driving do you do mostly? I'd NOT recommend a Cruze for urban-jungle use. The 1.4T is quite happy guzzling at a rate of 4-5 gallons/hour on moderate acceleration. Now highway driving is a different kettle of fish. With my highway-optimized Cruze Eco, I've averaged 44 mpg lifetime in 70% highway driving.

I looked at the Elantra. Not impressed with the Limited trim I test-drove. The interior felt low-rent, the ride was harsh and floaty, the engine was loud and didn't go that well, and the trunk opening was so small as to be functionally useless. It was cheap, though.

I haven't tried the Civic, but I can tell you we compared the Mazda 3 to the Cruze, and bought the Cruze.

I like a firm ride, but the 3 was like a go-kart. Front seats were hard as a rock.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I know my brother-in-law couldn't be happier with his 2012 Civic LX. Auto trans is the only option he got with his, but they come with pretty much power everything as standard now. The only issue I had is the dealers in my area wouldn't budge off of the $19425 sticker price, which to me is insane for a Civic. They are offering 1.9%/60mo on them though.

Joel

$19425+tax. it's ridiculous. 20 grand for an economy car. somehow, the automakers made the versa, fit,yaris,mazda 2, fiesta,and sonic the new "economy" car prices. you get less car for the money imho.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

$19425+tax. it's ridiculous. 20 grand for an economy car. somehow, the automakers made the versa, fit,yaris,mazda 2, fiesta,and sonic the new "economy" car prices. you get less car for the money imho.

Yep.....not making money on trucks.....

This-you gotta be happy with it...

Not sure if you're using the 95 Civic just as an example of a car you didn't enjoy or as an opinion on Civics in general, but if it's the latter then I just wanted to say that the current Civic has probably surpassed what an Accord/Camry was in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back