2012 F-150 3.5 Eco-boost. GTX HM 5w30 5600mi. Fuel Dilution saga continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my brothers Platinum, quad cab, long bed truck. After a string a high fuel dilution samples he did the following; replaced the cam-driven fuel pump, which is known to leak. $$$ and per the TSB Ford has out, upgrade to the redesigned PCV. This showed an improvement in the previous sample.

He used to run Castrol Magnetic 5w30 and drive a ton of highway miles, 100+ a day, there is one run of 0w40 in there too. This run was shorter trips, probably 25-30 miles at a time, with a mix of 40% rural, 30% highway, 30% traffic. Same as the previous sample.

[Linked Image]

The truck is running a Livernois tune but samples did not show fuel issues after tuning, I don't think it is related.

This may be the last sample, he is strongly considering selling the truck. However, I am considering buying it because it has been well maintained and it is really sharp looking.

Is the fuel dilution a deal-breaker?

While fuel dilution is widely scrutinized here it rarely seems to cause any damages.

Many examples here of fuel dilution but I just don't see the issue causing any real harm in most engines

There was obviously a spike in wear rates a while back, but that seems to have settled down. Ironically those two UOA reports had opposing fuel content; one was only a trace, one was 3.8%. Yet the next UOA is 3.5%, and the Fe drops right back down.

Admittedly, we'd have to acknowledge that the fuel ratings in Blackstone's reports are a bit suspect. However this is what you've got to go on, and there's really no correlation between wear and fuel concentration at these levels indicated. Overall the wear rates are decent and nothing to be alarmed about.

If you can get the truck at a fair price, and stick to the 5k mi OFCIs, I'd see no reason not to purchase and enjoy an otherwise nice rid. Honestly, I don't know why he's wanting to sell it, but his loss would be your gain.

Sorry, was this the conventional GTX or the Magnatec? Fuel dilution is up there, but it's not reflecting anything negative in the UOA.

Go thick so the viscosity stays in the 30-range at the end of the OCI. Redline oils are supposed to be good at resisting the effects of fuel dilution. Maybe try their 5w40.

Go back to the stock tune for an OCI and see if that helps.

Last edited:
A 5W40 HDEO might be a good oil choice as well. Especially if the fuel dilution should spike even higher unexpectedly.

That's some serious fuel dilution. I'd use xW-40. UOAs can miss severe wear that produces large particles, so warm fuzzy feelings from the UOA wear metals should be tempered.

Originally Posted by dave1251
There is no reason IMO to worry about this amount fuel dilution. It's a rather boring report.

+1

...and the GTX HM blend held up as well as the previous oils.

Reading these opinions on what should be done makes me wonder if the OP is on a see-saw, or, in a game of tug o war.
Buy the truck and do 5K mile OCI's (including a new MC FL-820S oil filter EVERY OCI) with Castrol Magnatec 5W30 oil.
thumbsup2.gif

If you consider buying it get the history on timing chain fixes on it. This is a known issue. Others probably know more details on this, but as I recall the new generation 3.5 as both the dual chains instead of one long chain and the chain is more robust.

No chain replacements, my brother has owned it since about 38,000 miles. No start up rattle.

He bought a immaculate 8.1L Silverado and a 2015 TDI Passat this year. It's been a great truck but he usually doesn't keep vehicles more than a few years. If it was a 5.0 I would definitely buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back