2012 Colorado Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-30 7k OCI

Pennzoil Full Synthetic HM. At about 3,800 I had to add 3/4 of a quart and thought for sure no worries until 7k oil change, guess i was wrong. the high silicone was a very dirty K&N filter. my current fill is RGT 5w-30 with 6oz of Lubegard, Fram XG-3506.

oil report.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennzoil Full Synthetic HM. At about 3,800 I had to add 3/4 of a quart and thought for sure no worries until 7k oil change, guess i was wrong. the high silicone was a very dirty K&N filter. my current fill is RGT 5w-30 with 6oz of Lubegard, Fram XG-3506.

Everyone is going to say it. So I will be the first. Put in a paper filter. The Fram paper filter is very good (despite how I feel about their orange can oil filter).

Also in my opinion that oil was run to long. The add pack looks low so it may have been a quality control issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks telling you to run a paper filter - how about just clean the K&N per their instructions? I have been running a K&N since new over 40K (including an open-element intake for a portion of that) and never see drama in my UOAs. My SiO2 is v. low and has averaged 4 for that mileage.....4.

never OLM. yep, currently the 2.9L, i've had an 2005 3.5L and 2012 3.7L . Agreed, in 25+ years of using K&N filters not one issue. its my fault for not cleaning it annually. For 15 years i go according to my Blackstone reports, I feel confident to run OCI's up to 6,500 for blends and at a minimum of 7,500 for full synthetic. i'm surprised the added oil halfway didn't help extend the life, kinda puzzled at that.

Last edited:
never OLM. yep, currently the 2.9L, i've had an 2005 3.5L and 2012 3.7L . Agreed, in 25+ years of using K&N filters not one issue. its my fault for not cleaning it annually. For 15 years i go according to my Blackstone reports, I feel confident to run OCI's up to 6,500 for blends and at a minimum of 7,500 for full synthetic. i'm surprised the added oil halfway didn't help extend the life, kinda puzzled at that.

That's why I noted the 1500 ppm total detergents. That doesn't seem correct for PPHM. Could have been a quality control issue. It happens with even the best on occasion.

Edit: Apparently that is the correct detergent level for the newer PPHM. Seems low for a HM but we are in a new era with low sulphur gas.

Last edited:
Why would a dirty K&N allow more dirt to pass thru? I thought that dirty air filters were more efficient at trapping dirt. Does dirt migrate thru the filter element?

Is this the oil you used?

550042728_PZ_PlatHM_5W30_1qt_NG_US.jpg

just checked my Amazon order, thats the one ...

Why would a dirty K&N allow more dirt to pass thru? I thought that dirty air filters were more efficient at trapping dirt. Does dirt migrate thru the filter element?

you got me thinking, the last time the silicone was above normal was on my 2005 when the cone filter had partially slipped off the tube, which is enclosed a covered box and never noticed until the next oil change. so i checked the intake system today. the clamps on the short tube between the resonator box and TB were in place but loose :( . make sense now, i remember cleaning my TB at work during lunch time last year, too much in a hurry i guess and didn't go over my work, ughh ...

Being is it has large pores and the oil actually does the catching in a 3D type way (somewhat like a synthetic media oil filter) once the oiled surface is saturated the dirt can continue through the media without sticking.

Being is it has large pores and the oil actually does the catching in a 3D type way (somewhat like a synthetic media oil filter) once the oiled surface is saturated the dirt can continue through the media without sticking.
Thx Gene K. That’s what I was thinking too. Dirt sort of creeps inward from the airflow and some escapes into the intake, or some variation on that theme.

I have had experience with a K&N air filter in an ‘89 Mustang GT i purchased used in Chesapeake, VA. The location of use is relevant in that that area of Virginia is very clean compared to where i was from and currently live (in Massachusetts). Clean in terms of winter-applied road sand, etc. I took one look at (through) the K&N and immediately tossed it. ( I could see thru it!). In Southeast VA or other non-snow areas where roads are fairly clean, a K&N is probably not a bad thing. In MA, i would not even consider it. Growing up in MA in the 70s and 80s, it was considered a waste of time to wash your car when rain was on its way as inevitably, even in the middle of summer and fall, the car would be coated in grime after driving it in the rain. I always thought that was normal everywhere, until i moved to Chesapeake/VA Beach area. Wow! the car stays clean after a rain storm! Most of that dirt was residual road salt and sand that get’s ground into a finer powder on the roads. Some of that was also Mid-West generated fall-out from industry and power plants as the cars would get a layer of grime after a rain even though the car was not driven. Now that i am back in MA, the cars do stay cleaner now after a rain, probably due to less pollution. But that residual winter sand is still there and it collects on the car, under the hood, and in the air filter housing.

K&N air filters are junk, I don't know why people keep buying them. Anything, literally anything, is better than K&N. It's a nice gimmick though. Buy a reusable air filter that you wash, dry, and oil. And unless it's a mosquito, it will let just about anything through. Like a wise man once said, the best oil filter is a good air filter.

Back