2012 Buick Regal, PP 5w-30, 6400mi 2.4l DI Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC Delco filter, mix of highway and local miles.

Not happy that iron is always so high. Switching to GC 0w-30 for the next run. I hope this motor doesn't have timing chain issues like the earlier DI ecotecs, I thought 12s were safe. So far, runs great and very quiet and smooth though!

Harsh winter, shorts trips & lots of idle probably taking their toll on the iron. Likely it will come down as the miles add up.

Fascinating. I'm almost ready for my fourth OC on the Regal since I bought it in January 2014. My changes have been part of the CPO package from the dealer, so the little gray beast has been getting regular AC Delco synblend oil and filter at about 4500 miles on each fill. My plan was to go to QSUD next time; but I'll be interested to see how yours does on GC 0W-30.

When is Blackstone going to point out that the oil viscosity is out of grade on all three samples? The last one almost stayed in grade. GC may be a good choice, but technically, it is the wrong API classification. It is SL, and the 2012 Ecotec calls for SN. But I can't think of an SN 5w30 that would do much better than PP in the Ecotec. Something stout like AMSoil HDD may stay in grade, but it isn't SL either. Do you care about maintaining warranty?

Agreed, Trying GC 0w-30 (or the very similar 0w-40) is a good choice. Those MercedesBenz229.5 oils are a tougher spec to meet than dexos1.

No warranty issues in play then thicker could be a good idea. As far as PP 5w30 goes it starts out as one of the thinner 5w30's IIRC so it didn't shear much.

All your runs have had excessively high metals for the miles for the miles.

I'd say the engine is wearing badly, and be prepared for a timing chain replacement.

Sad to see this engine have such issues...

You have a terrific variety of vehicles, so I'd guess you have lots of "mechanical empathy", but just asking: are you hard on the throttle with a cold engine maybe?

As others have suggested, a different oil, filter and shorter OCI would be worth a try.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
All your runs have had excessively high metals for the miles for the miles.

I'd say the engine is wearing badly, and be prepared for a timing chain replacement.

Sad to see this engine have such issues...

For comparison, here was the UOA I had run on my 2011 Regal with the same engine at 49K miles:

My metals were fine (except maybe the sodium?), but the oil was a little out of grade too, after 4200 miles (2K of that was highway, the remaining my usual mix of 70% city). Perhaps smonska and I both need to change sooner?

Notice, Benz, that your run is 2200 miles shorter that smonska's run, and your metals are fine.

From what I've seen, most GM engines that have this issue (this one, and the 1.4T in the Cruze) are fine up to about 5k, and show normal wear. It's after 5k or so that these engines really start to kill the oil.

Just an observation....

The fuel is higher than blackstone says. Probably closer to 3%. That explains the visc loss. Which it has rolled into 20-grade territory. The GC 0W30 is good idea. Another one I forgot about until the other day when someone brought it up was Delo LE Syn 5W30. Technically, an SN oil but is also CJ-4. Its at the top of a 30 grade as well. Though, like GC it has no Dexos cert so it probably doesn't even matter.
Might as well go all the way and use M1 0W40. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back