2012 Buick Regal GS: 3 Month Update

Aside from a failed alternator, a finicky driver's side heated seat (known issue), and an errant "low oil" warning it's been a wonderful 3k miles of ownership so far. I really can't find anything about the thing I don't enjoy!

- Being my first boosted vehicle, I quickly fell in love with the ability to throw it in 3rd at 50 MPH and be able to pass slower traffic on two lane roads without hesitation. The 2.0 LHU engine really is a sweetheart.

- The seats are some of the most comfortable of any vehicle I've owned

- The factory 9-speaker, 325-watt Harman Kardon sound system sounds incredible when paired with a high quality LDAC Bluetooth adapter

- Before the switch to winter blend fuel, I was averaging over 28 MPG and over 500 miles of range per tank

I'm thinking of switching to HPL oil for the upcoming spring oil change since I plan to hold onto this thing for a long time. I have ZERO timing chain rattle at startup, even after sitting for a week in sub-freezing temps. I have no issue doing chains, I'd just like to delay it as long as possible.

It's always nice to see our purchases, like this, actually play out well. Buying used is a gamble but I'm under the belief that there are many good used vehicles out there for good price. Those 2.0L turbo's are stuffed in a few GM vehicles these days & as far as I know that engine started it's roots back in the early 2000's. Do you have any photos? Engine bay?

Here's mine. I love this car. Has been mostly trouble free have only replaced both rear hub bearings.

LHU as been flawless and it seems to have better reliability than the newer LTG's as well.
FB_IMG_1607288987261.jpg

A few other notes about this car...

The turbo is right on the firewall and you can hear it spool pretty nicely.
This engine is very particular about it's fuel. Give it as much octane as you can find!

When I log this car using torque pro and take a look at MAF readings
When using 91 octane gas on anything but a super cold day you will see MAF readings peak in the range of 210-215 g/sec
93 octane from a station near me will allow for a touch more boost and MAF readings in the range of 219-221 g/sec
this amounts to an additional 10hp or so which is a noticeable change. It also takes a lot of the lumpiness out of the powerband and smooths it out. It's clear this engine is always pulling timing and/or boost with 91 octane gas.

Here's mine. I love this car. Has been mostly trouble free have only replaced both rear hub bearings.

LHU as been flawless and it seems to have better reliability than the newer LTG's as well.
View attachment 192938

I love your car! What, if anything, have you done as far as mods? I'm leaving mine alone, the only mod I have is a Forge Motorsports BPV. I was having a bit of intermittent surging under boost, but no codes, so I went ahead and preemptively replaced the valve.

A few other notes about this car...

The turbo is right on the firewall and you can hear it spool pretty nicely.
This engine is very particular about it's fuel. Give it as much octane as you can find!

When I log this car using torque pro and take a look at MAF readings
When using 91 octane gas on anything but a super cold day you will see MAF readings peak in the range of 210-215 g/sec
93 octane from a station near me will allow for a touch more boost and MAF readings in the range of 219-221 g/sec
this amounts to an additional 10hp or so which is a noticeable change. It also takes a lot of the lumpiness out of the powerband and smooths it out. It's clear this engine is always pulling timing and/or boost with 91 octane gas.

It's basically impossible to find anything over 91 octane in WI, but it NEVER gets anything other than E0 premium from either Kwik Trip or BP.

No mods as she runs great as is and I'm getting too old :LOL: , run 91 here in Calif, agree with everything you said about the GS. The color is Black Cherry metallic and the dog is"Chuy".
SHELL Nitro 91 is all she drinks.

Nice cars you have.
I thought we were going to be talking about these. I used to check them out of car pool back in my GM days.

1702582193339.jpeg

Very underrated cars. I guess it was a marketing problem. Would the car have caught on as a Chevy, a Cadillac?

Very underrated cars. I guess it was a marketing problem. Would the car have caught on as a Chevy, a Cadillac?

The Regal shared it's chassis and engines with the Malibu of the same generation, however the Malibu wasn't available with any of the GS goodies like the Hi-Per Strut front suspension.

Marketing was definitely at fault when it comes to the GS models. The standard Regals sold in droves. I see base and 2.0T cars many times daily, but I've seen exactly 2 GS's within a 50 mile radius of me.

although the same size; 2.0T the Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac ATS/CTS got the newer LTG engine, not the LHU...

the Buick definitely got more of the European Opel parts and Buick designed Hi-Per Strut front suspension...

Bill

Back