2012 Buick LaCrosse 3.6L LFX Amsoil SS 0w-40 13.2k mi

Used a fram ultra. Consumption was at 5qts. Too high I think to justify the price of the Amsoil. I Refilled with more Amsoil cuz I still had a stash leftover. Probably going to make the switch to Mobil 0w-40. We’ll see how far I make it on this OCI before I run out of oil, I have 4 quarts for top off. When I run out I’ll go another 1-2,000 miles then get a UOA.

A5B5CB7B-B02C-464C-B851-7E5CECCA04D5.jpeg

Do you know where the oil is going? Visible leaks, blow by, etc? Maybe a high mileage oil would slow consumption down a little. With that much make up oil, it's really hard to get a clear picture of what's going on. Any wear, shearing, fuel dilution and even the TBN are boosted by all the make up oil.

Do you know where the oil is going? Visible leaks, blow by, etc? Maybe a high mileage oil would slow consumption down a little. With that much make up oil, it's really hard to get a clear picture of what's going on. Any wear, shearing, fuel dilution and even the TBN are boosted by all the make up oil.
No idea where it’s going. I did bump up a grade, calls for 5w-30. These engines are known to sip on the oil

Step up to a 5w40 maybe and see if that slows consumption? The Mobil HDEO products have less than or equal to 800ppm phosphorous, so probably best for the cats on an oil burner.

I had consumption (about the same level) with AZO 0w-30 in my Expedition for whatever reason. It didn't consume any running a Mobil or Motul product, so it spent the vast majority of its life with us on Mobil, with a few runs of Petro-Canada and it was sold with a pan full of Motul 0w-30, since I had got a deal on a case of it.

That same AZO works perfectly fine in our Honda outboard... Seemed to be specific to that vehicle. Keep us posted on how this goes, I also ran two OCI's and the consumption didn't change.

@OVERKILL — this engine was consuming 3 quarts of oil after 10,000 miles back in 2019 when the engine only had 110k on it. Now several years later @ 150k miles it’s eating 5 quarts of oil in 13k miles?!?! That seems insane to me. My GMC Acadia’s 3.6L uses zero oil. My Mazda uses zero oil.

@OVERKILL — this engine was consuming 3 quarts of oil after 10,000 miles back in 2019 when the engine only had 110k on it. Now several years later @ 150k miles it’s eating 5 quarts of oil in 13k miles?!?! That seems insane to me. My GMC Acadia’s 3.6L uses zero oil. My Mazda uses zero oil.
Not trying to justify it, but a quart every 2,640 mi isn’t insane to me. It’s definitely more than I’d like to put in.

Honestly it’s been a minute since I replaced it. I found a mod on a camaro forum to make the hole in it bigger and that’s what I did when I replaced it
I don't know what the replacement interval is for your car but if it's easy to get to it's worth a shot.

What's the purpose of the mod? Seems enlarging the hole would lessen the intended functionality of the valve. I wouldn't mod it this time and install a factory part from the dealer.

I don't know what the replacement interval is for your car but if it's easy to get to it's worth a shot.

What's the purpose of the mod? Seems enlarging the hole would lessen the intended functionality of the valve. I wouldn't mod it this time and install a factory part from the dealer.

It’s kind of a PITA to get to but not terrible

Back