2012. Acura TL SH-AWD 3000 mile factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is mine from my new car factory fill drained at 3k and m1 ep was put in. Had 60% life left on meter.

Tell what you guys think.

Capture.jpg

Doesnt Honda ask that you keep the FF in till OLM goes below 20% due to break in oil ???

Other than that, it looks good for a conservative run. Im curious to see where the manganese is coming from. Good amount of Boron in that oil too !

Honda's break in oil always looks good.

I think you made a good choice in Mobil 1 EP. The next few OCI you will still see some break in metals, so if you want to save money, you could wait a few changes before you do an analysis again. Of course, if you're a curious cat like some of us, you may keep doing analysis anyway. ha-ha.

Nice car and report. FF analysis are always fun.

This vehicle calls for 5w20 OE right ??? I know the 3.5 is spec'd for 0w20 but I think Acura still specs 5w20 for 3.7 though. If thats the case, then I would use the cheapest name brand conv/synblend/syn and do conservative 3-4k mile oci till about 20k or till UOAs show the wear settling. Then spoil it with whatever jungle juice that floats your boat for full length oci.

And enjoy the car!

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Wow, you changed the FF with 60% life still showing on the MM? Waaaaay too soon.

For the break in oil change i would say not soon enough, wonder what the owners manual has listed for first oil change.

Originally Posted By: WrxRcr
Wow, you changed the FF with 60% life still showing on the MM? Waaaaay too soon.

For the break in oil change i would say not soon enough, wonder what the owners manual has listed for first oil change.

I went 13,000 miles on the factory fill in my first Mercedes.
crazy2.gif

I thought it was safe because it was a "Mercedes," with "synthetic," and it was what the factory called as appropriate.

Actually, I think it probably didn't hurt anything (it was a fair bit of highway as it was only 9 months). Now my oil changes are very short (3000-5000) so I'm sure it's cleaned up. It might have caused slight more wear from break in metals but I hope it's ok.

If I did it over again, I would have replaced the FF, at half those miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I went 13,000 miles on the factory fill in my first Mercedes.
crazy2.gif

I thought it was safe because it was a "Mercedes," with "synthetic," and it was what the factory called as appropriate.

Actually, I think it probably didn't hurt anything (it was a fair bit of highway as it was only 9 months). Now my oil changes are very short (3000-5000) so I'm sure it's cleaned up. It might have caused slight more wear from break in metals but I hope it's ok.

If I did it over again, I would have replaced the FF, at half those miles.

Me too.

The first oil change was 13+k miles and 12 months, passed the FSS by few hundreds miles.

Originally Posted By: bourne
This vehicle calls for 5w20 OE right ??? I know the 3.5 is spec'd for 0w20 but I think Acura still specs 5w20 for 3.7 though. If thats the case, then I would use the cheapest name brand conv/synblend/syn and do conservative 3-4k mile oci till about 20k or till UOAs show the wear settling. Then spoil it with whatever jungle juice that floats your boat for full length oci.

And enjoy the car!

This is what I would do. 3K with PYZ for a few OCI's then I would use PP, PU or Mobil 1 EP...

I think he's just fine changing it @ 3k. If anything, i believe that he helped the engine live a happier, longer life by removing the abrasive metallic shaving infused oil from the engine.

Agreed. And it wasn't in that good of shape. I will be switching to PP or PU next change mainly because the engine seems less smooth with the m1 in there especially when cold now.

Originally Posted By: WrxRcr

The owner's manual says to not change it until the MM indicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back