2012 Acura oil requirements???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2012 Acura TL SH AWD. 3.7L engine requires 5W-20 (per owner's manual). Thing is, no where in the owner's manual or on the oil filler cap does it mention the API rating. I am assuming SN, but perhaps SM? I am guessing I can't go wrong with either, but I am suprised at this oversight.

It's just not important.
I'd use a 0W-20 to take advantage of the higher viscosity index.
The CoP made Honda 0W-20 is good (177 VI) but I much prefer the Toyota Brand 0W-20 (214 VI). Both these oils are now SN rated.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It's just not important.
The CoP made Honda 0W-20 is good (177 VI) but I much prefer the Toyota Brand 0W-20 (214 VI). Both these oils are now SN rated.

Owner's manual calls for 5w-20 for the 3.7L, 0W-20 for the 3.5L. Not sure why.

nice purchase!

you may use either/or 0w20/5w20 on your 3.7

id stick to a good synthetic (M1,PP,etc) and API SN unless you cant find any locally, SM will do and change according to the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

The reason isn't technical unless a very specific 5W-20 was specified for the 3.7L. Acura has only just recently started specifying the 0W-20 grade.

BTW, the best 0W-20's are the OEM 0W-20's. The independant majors have either dropped the ball (Castrol) or haven't caught up yet.

The reason isn't technical unless a very specific 5W-20 was specified for the 3.7L. Acura has only just recently started specifying the 0W-20 grade.

BTW, the best 0W-20's are the OEM 0W-20's. The independant majors have either dropped the ball (Castrol) or haven't caught up yet.

CATERHAM, have you read any data or found any info on the Mazda OEM 0w20 oil? I hear it's Petro Canada oil but not sure about that.

It's just not important.

I'd bet it's b/c they want the higher-output, higher-revving 3.7 V-6 to use the more shear-resistant 5W-20.

No, the difference won't be much, but a 5W-20 will be more shear-resistant than a 0W-20 b/c the viscosity spread is narrower.

Yes my local Mazda dealer says it's Petro-Canada but I haven't dropped by to see if it is actually a PC bottle.
But it's highly unlikely that Mazda would be using PC as the supplier in the States.
There usually isn't any big secret about who the supplier is.
Subaru uses Idemitsu (says so on the bottle).
Toyota used to use Nippon Oil but now it's EOM.

Call Mazda and see what they say and/or buy a bottle (or just take a picture of it front and back) and post the pictures here:
we'll figure out who makes it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I'd bet it's b/c they want the higher-output, higher-revving 3.7 V-6 to use the more shear-resistant 5W-20.
No, the difference won't be much, but a 5W-20 will be more shear-resistant than a 0W-20 b/c the viscosity spread is narrower.

That argument would hold if Acura specified a particular 5W-20, even a synthetic 5W-20; but the most shear prone API dino 5W-20 meets Acura's requirements. Since all 0W-20's are largely synthetic they use higher VI base stocks than 5W-20 dino's making them inherently more shear resistant. Besides the SAE maximum shear requirements are the same for both grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back