2011 VW GTI: recommend oil (PU 4W-40 vs GC 0W-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost that section from my manual. It lists a back-up visc, I think people have said 10w-30, but I do not remember seeing it.

In the manual in the Engine Oil section it says a couple of different things.
It starts by saying that the factory put in 5W-40 oil.

Then it says use VW 502.00 or 504.00 spec oil without giving a weight.
Then: "If 'synthetic' oil that meets the applicable VW oil quality standard with viscosity grade SAE5W-40 or 5W-30 is not available .... be sure to use a viscosity grade suitable for the climate, season, and operating conditions that exist where the vehicle is used."

Now I am not sure. GC 0W-30 is VW 502 and 504.00 but the manual later says that it should be 5W-xx. This suggests to me that GC may NOT be an approved oil.

Hmmmm....I have already stocked up on 6 litres of GC.

Anyone care to give me their interpretation of the VW manual?

Personally, I do not see any downsides to using 0w-30 where 5w-30 is approved, as long as both meet VW 502.00 spec. The only place where you'll find a difference between the two is in extreme arctic cold, at which point 0w-30 would be more beneficial than 5w-30.

I'm not worried about its performance at this point. I am more worried about VW's warranty.

There is no way that VW can determine that the oil you put in there was 0w-30 and not 5w-30. Plus, VW would have to prove that it was the oil that caused the problem before they could blame you for it and deny warranty. I really don't think you have much to worry about.

Moreover GC (Syntec) 0w-30 was listed on the official VW approved oil list, last time I checked.

I plan to have the dealership do the oil change and I will provide the oil. They will do the filter and change for $25 if I provide the oil.

In Canada, you def want GC if you want a spec oil. It's 502, not 504, afaik, those specs are exclusive. It is really the ideal oil for the application. I wasn't trying to muddy the water, just repeat that some people had a problem with it for this service.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
In Canada, you def want GC if you want a spec oil.

It's important to note that it, along with M1 0w-40, are among the only widely available such oils in this country. Finding anything else with such European specs requires a trip to the dealer or ordering online. With respect to Pennzoil European synthetics, I haven't seen them anywhere here. Boutique brands can be had at certain tuner shops, but the costs make even full price GC look like a huge bargain.

I have a 2010 GTI and I have been using Redline 5W-40, non 502.00 approved. Got great wear numbers, but the non 502.00 got to me. So, for my next oil change, I will be using Motul Specific 502.00. The Motul seems to get great UOA numbers as well and is 502.00 approved. Bummer, too, because the GTI runs GREAT on the Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back