2011 Tundra, Amsoil signature 0W-20, 9.5K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Final Report on my 2011 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4WD - I just sold it this week. With my daughter moving across country to go to college, we would have had 4 vehicles and only 3 drivers, as my daughter must live on campus for two years and won't need a car. Plus, there was one full year of tuition, room and board tied up in the vehicle, which I could use. So, off it goes.

The only real thing of interest is slightly elevated silicon, which, once again, I attribute to sealants in the engine, not bad air filtration like the report suggests. You can see the same pattern on the last 10K run. I also saw the trend in my 2006 Tundra as well.

I do have some general observations that I plan to post in oil analysis general questions forum.

Viscosity is starting to creep up with 10k mile changes compared to the 5k mile results. This means the oil already oxidized quite a bit and most of the lighter elements have burned off already. Personally I wouldn't use it past 8k miles.

HKPolice,

I'm inclined to agree with you - the TAN for both the ~9.5 - 10K intervals is one point above the virgin TAN (4.6). Although I do believe it was time to change out this oil, I don't really see it necessary to cut back the interval to 8K miles, though.

SAE 20 specs a max of 9.29 cST @ 100C, both 10K mile samples are above that. While running a thicker oil may or may not not increase wear, it does make the engine run hotter & increase oil pressure. Thicker oil doesn't flow as well so hotspots in the engine are allowed to get hotter, its simple physics. Doesn't really matter now that the truck is gone but these results prove to me that Amsoil Signature can not do the claimed 15K mile interval without a higher risk of increased engine wear.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
HKPolice,

I'm inclined to agree with you - the TAN for both the ~9.5 - 10K intervals is one point above the virgin TAN (4.6). Although I do believe it was time to change out this oil, I don't really see it necessary to cut back the interval to 8K miles, though.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
SAE 20 specs a max of 9.29 cST @ 100C, both 10K mile samples are above that. While running a thicker oil may or may not not increase wear, it does make the engine run hotter & increase oil pressure. Thicker oil doesn't flow as well so hotspots in the engine are allowed to get hotter, its simple physics. Doesn't really matter now that the truck is gone but these results prove to me that Amsoil Signature can not do the claimed 15K mile interval without a higher risk of increased engine wear.

What a load of manure. First of all the oil starts at 8.8 cSt. Then you write "Viscosity is starting to creep up" and make allegation that "the oil already oxidized quite a bit and most of the lighter elements have burned off already." You make a 9.3 cSt oil seem like it is tar! I've run (as plenty of other people have) 10-12 cSt motor oils in Toyota V6's with better wear numbers than 9 cSt.

But let's keep it simple. Prove to us that a 9.3 cSt causes more wear than a 8.8 cSt oil. Because that is what you wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back