2011 Toyota Prius or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering purchasing a new 2011 toyota prius assuming they will have some good end-of-year deals. I have a long commute to work each day and I also drive long distance (at least 300-400 miles) every couple of months. I am looking for a vehicle with a very smooth ride and very quiet interior at highway speeds, also with great fuel economy for $25K or below. Please tell me if prius is the best choice for this...

Cruze Eco if you don't mind a MT. They're substantially less than $25k. I usually get 44-46 mpg highway, sometimes higher. As my folks remarked when I took them on a highway trip in it, "This is quiet!" The ride is good, even over broken roads.

If you do a lot of city driving, it's not for you. City mileage is about 30-35 mpg.

Sure, they are a good car. Personally, any 4 cylinder midsize or compact car could probably get you 35+ miles a gallon, more space and better handling though. A Focus, Cruze, Civic, Corolla would cost less and have a very small mileage penalty.

Most small cars are very efficient at this point. I would also point out that if you are taller or just want more room you may consider the Vw Jetta or new Passat with the TDI Diesel. They are efficient and way more roomy than a Prius. Not sure about their exact cost but it should be around your range for the Jetta, Passat may be a few bucks over but has the interior space of some seriously huge sedans yet still rated 42 HWY. Being 6'4" I really do have an appreciation for interior room as well as fuel efficiency with today's fuel prices.

Hybrids seem to carry less of a cost premium today than they used to, but you still might find more value in a non-hybrid compact car. A co-worker of mine has a 2010 Prius (same as the 2011 really), and his overall with it is 49.9 mpg on the computer. That's mostly highway miles...city would probably be higher.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed. The Prius is an excellent vehicle, and it's proven itself, unlike it's competitors.

Id go with a cruze eco or golf diesel over a prius.

Im not anti-prius, but MO they are better suited for shorter, round-town driving. For highway type use, great economy can be had from far simpler powertrains.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id go with a cruze eco or golf diesel over a prius.

Im not anti-prius, but MO they are better suited for shorter, round-town driving. For highway type use, great economy can be had from far simpler powertrains.

+1 Couldn't have said it myself.
Plus the superior handling characteristics of the Cruze Eco and Golf diesel would seal the deal for me.

The handling is also where the Prius quickly gets separated from the pack. No one can dispute their mileage but their rather quirky driving experience is a bit different and takes some getting used to.

I wanted so badly to like the Prius I drove. It is absolutely the most successful hybrid. That said I didn't like it... It felt allot cheaper than it's price tag should allow it too. That, and I am not certain that hybrids in their current form aren't being rendered obsolete by better equipped cars that cost less and get near the same mileage... Still the car to have if you are green and have the extra cash to be proud of it...

The Prius is not a luxury car, far from it. They are wonderful machines, but long trips are far more comfortable in higher end cars.

However, I really like them. Plus they have great reliability and resale. Overall, they are inexpensive to operate.

I rent cars often. None of the automatic trans, compact rental cars exceed 30MPG in real world conditions. This is where the Prius shines.

Take a look at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

You will see that most conventional 4 cylinder sedans like the Corolla don't achieve anywhere near Prius MPG, and real world results are all that matter. The Prius is knocking on 50MPG. The Corolla hovers just over 32.

Last edited:
No one would argue that it doesn't get better fuel economy. One might argue that the $3K to $5K price difference will put allot of fuel into a non-Hybrid compact that earns 32 to 40MPG...

I read a lot of reviews that Prius has a very refined quiet ride on the highway. Did anyone check what RPMs its engine turns at 80 MPH?

Originally Posted By: dkrivosheyev
I read a lot of reviews that Prius has a very refined quiet ride on the highway. Did anyone check what RPMs its engine turns at 80 MPH?

I'm thinking a Prius at a steady 80mph is not the most comfortable car you can get for the price you stated.

The PRIUS is no more than the CRUZE or TDI . We'd go for the PRIUS , we had an '06 and enjoyed it . Traded it in 2008 when the book value was high thanks to the spike in gas prices and the shortage of them new / used . There are PRIUS with the same battery at 200,000+ miles . Here's the article from CONSUMER REPORTS of a 2002 PRIUS with 208,000 miles . http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/02/200000-mile-toyota-prius-still-performs.html . Let us know of your decision . Good Luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back