2011 toyota avalon 3.5 synthetic oil interval

Hello all,

Recently purchased a new to me car referenced in the title. 73k miles. I plan on running 5w30 synthetic oil in it with either a fram tough guard or ultra filter. The oci is stated at 5k, but that's on dino oil. I'm assuming I can get a longer oci than that but don't want to go so long between changes that I need to get a uoa to feel safe. I'm thinking about a 7500 mile oci probably eithee castrol gtx magnatec, quaker state full synthetic or supertech synthetic. I've got a some of each in my stash so it will probably depend on which oil I grab as to what goes in it each time. I'm just asking if anyone sees any flaw in my chosen oci. I want this car to last me for a while so I don't want to go crazy on the change interval but 5k seems awfully short on any off the shelf synthetic. All opinions welcome. Let me know what you think.

Guess I forgot to mention that. I drive a lot, probably 80 to 85 percent highway miles. Some suburban driving but not much stop and go if I time it right. Probably drive 20 to 25k a year. I have a 2nd car that I drive part of the time otherwise I drive closer to 40k a year. I'm in Illinois so we do get cold winters and some hot weather in the summer.

Might consider rethinking the filter and even the oci. The filter is a cartridge type and I’ve found the OEMs to be available in bulk and cheaper than Fram. I use 5k as an interval on synthetic in my ‘12 Avalon, but was told not to push it consistently if you are looking to bag mega miles with it. Evidently the variable valve timing mechanisms like clean oil and are rather pricey to repair/replace. Just a thought.

With that many miles a year and mostly highway driving, I'd choose 8,000 miles on any name brand synthetic. The current Toyota standard is 10,000 on the same engine using synthetic. If the Avalon has a solid maintenance history, it'll easily go 300K miles. Try finding authentic Toyota oil filters on eBay. In 2020 Conicelli Toyota in PA was selling boxes of 10 filters plus washers for less than $40 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Might consider rethinking the filter and even the oci. The filter is a cartridge type and I’ve found the OEMs to be available in bulk and cheaper than Fram. I use 5k as an interval on synthetic in my ‘12 Avalon, but was told not to push it consistently if you are looking to bag mega miles with it. Evidently the variable valve timing mechanisms like clean oil and are rather pricey to repair/replace. Just a thought.
Good point. I hadn't even considered the vvt. The car had 5k oci intervals at a toyota dealer it's entire past. I got the first change at a toyota dealer so they could look it over and rotate the tires.

Good point. I hadn't even considered the vvt. The car had 5k oci intervals at a toyota dealer it's entire past. I got the first change at a toyota dealer so they could look it over and rotate the tires

I noticed that the oem oil filters keep getting mentioned, I agree they can be had for less. But are they good filters? I guess Toyota trusts them. I was actually thinking of using the fram filters I listed for 2 oci's and just draining the oil and filter housing 2nd oil change and then replacing the filter every other oil change.

Really no such thing as dino oil these days api sp has made almost everything be a syn blend. Supertech syn 10k is a good oil. Now they have a 20k version for $19.

There's a guy who did 12k on the 10k version of supertech in a twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost and his tbn was weak but still good and wear metals were good. And that's a twin turbo engine not NA. I used to go 10-11k with super tech syn but switched to a 40 grade and now run either on sale euro or volvo vds and ford wss certified 15w-40 which is super tech diesel for at least 10k but I'll probably go 13k in my na v8's. Have over a half million on them combined since new with zero issues.

A guy on here very recently did a 20k uoa with chevron delo xsp full syn 5w-40 in a power stroke and had a tbn of 5 after 20k and I believe it.

My local Toyota dealer sells the filters for $5.25 each. Conicelli Toyota in PA sells them with washers for about the same after shipping. No need to go aftermarket.

I would change every 5k with a full synthetic.

Congrats on buying an excellent car. If you change all the fluids regularly it will last a long, long time. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I think I'd go 10k on synthetic (perhaps something of the class of Mobil 1, PP, etc.) given that use case, if you do drive mostly on the highway. I want to say that engine was specced for 10k runs with 0w20 the year later or two years later. I run my Camry on 10k OCIs (mostly longer trip driving) using M1 EP 0w20, as per the book. And I've run our Sienna about the same, though I typically changed that sooner due to being short tripped around town a fair bit. Either way, though, enjoy the car, too. Those are fantastic highway cruisers and the 2GR-FE is a delightful engine.

I noticed that the oem oil filters keep getting mentioned, I agree they can be had for less. But are they good filters? I guess Toyota trusts them. I was actually thinking of using the fram filters I listed for 2 oci's and just draining the oil and filter housing 2nd oil change and then replacing the filter every other oil change.
I have never read about anyone having an issue with a Toyota OE filter changed per the maintenance schedule. It’s not something to worry about IMO.

I’d stick with the Toyota filters. That’s what I’ve been using in both my Tundra and our Sienna. My Sienna has seen mostly 0w20 M1 AFE at 10k intervals and still runs as good as new at 110k. I see no reason to fix what’s not broken. With the oils you’ve suggested, your plan of 7,500-8000 miles would be just fine.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll try and stick close to the recommended oci, but at least with synthetic I won't feel worried if I run over that due to work schedule, etc. As for the filter I'll consider the oem ones, but that will be after I use up the Fram ultra and tough guards I've already got stocked up for it.

be sure to check your vvti oil line to see if it is the all metal line or partial rubber line. change it out to an all metal line. I think pre 2012 had the rubber/metal lines

Back