2011 Subaru MTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90 is what I use in my Unimog's 6 (six) gearboxes (2 diffs and 4 portals) and it works very well in the winter down to -25F. It has a pour point of -48C or -54F.
It is a GL5 fluid.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90 is what I use in my Unimog's 6 (six) gearboxes (2 diffs and 4 portals) and it works very well in the winter down to -25F. It has a pour point of -48C or -54F.
It is a GL5 fluid.

Charlie

4 portals? What is a portal?
Are you also using the Delvac in the transmission?

portal gearboxes are gearboxes with spur gears at the hubs to gain higher ground clearance and more gear reduction - "like a Hummer" or like an old VW microbus in the rear. They hold only 700ml, you want to use something good. Foaming is very bad in portals if it happens.
The trans calls for a GL4 fluid: I use Delvac Synthetic Trans Fluid 50 in warmer climates and Castrol Syntrans 75W85 in Alaska.

Charlie

Well I got the 3qts of redline 75w90NS from summit racing today.

I changed it out.. now that I have the right funnel hose to snake around everything it took about 15min total including tool time and cleanup.(tools in basement.. work area in detached garage)

Seems to be much better, I'll report back in a few days. I was really intersted in the motul but the redline had several advantages.

1)its sold at summit racing.. a 10mile drive from my house.
2)Specifically says its GL-5, right friction for synchros, and improved copper protection.
3)I like redline and have used it in the past.

I may go motul 15-20k miles from now just to try it out or if I'm not happy with the redline oil. ITS AMAZING how easy it is to change.. its actually harder to fill than drain.

Due to the fill/dipstick hole being bracketed by the wiring and air intake.

note: 3qts put it about 6oz low but its above the min line.

Last edited:
I put in the Supertech semi-syn 75W90 GL5 at 12,000 miles. 26800 miles now. Shifts better than it did on the factory Subaru GL5 gear oil. I can downshift into 1st gear while rolling 20mph with practically no notchiness. I put a thread up here on bitog about the change-out way back when I performed it. I used it in the rear diff as well as the manual trans.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I think your best bet is either Supertech Semi-Syn75W90 or Subaru Extra-S.

I researched this to death before I did the fluids on my buddy's MT-5, and this was the consensus by a few Subaru guys. The Supertech seems to be one of the few GL-5's which is brass synchro-compatible. I was really happy w/the shifting after switching to the Supertech stuff. I think it was 170K on the factory fill though, so it's not necessarily the best comparison...

I keep hearing good things about the supertech gear oil. I may indeed give that a try in the future. The 2 walmarts by me were out and so was half their oil aisle..
15.gif

The redline 75w90 seems amazingly better so far. It shifts nice and smooth like the Factory fill but better cold properties.

IT IS a subaru.. they all shift kinda wonky as I knew before I bought the car.

I just need a cold morning (prefer sub 20F) to see how it shifts on the morning run into work.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I keep hearing good things about the supertech gear oil. I may indeed give that a try in the future. The 2 walmarts by me were out and so was half their oil aisle..
15.gif

The redline 75w90 seems amazingly better so far. It shifts nice and smooth like the Factory fill but better cold properties.

IT IS a subaru.. they all shift kinda wonky as I knew before I bought the car.

I just need a cold morning (prefer sub 20F) to see how it shifts on the morning run into work.

ERR I meant redline 75w90NS not regular redline 75w90.

call me OCD but I liked reading on the bottle that it was GL-5 and had no friction modifiers, and enhanced yellow metal protection.

Also bought a 1.99 funnel with a hose and ripped the hose off and put it on my transmission funnel.. worked great to bend around the air intake and electrical harness to the dipstick/fill hole.

(ace would have been 99cent but was 5miles out of way)

It is already too late, but a lot of people have reported issues with Redline 75w90NS over the years in Subaru transmissions - nasioc.com i-club.com etc

You can be your own judge but it should be fine as long as it works for you though.

I have been using Extra S and have just done another change after 30k miles. Only light metal dust on the magnet so I know it is protecting well. But I live in California...

My recommendation is Extra S if you do not need freezing temp operation (or don't mind notchy shifts while it is warming up). Or the Delvac if you need it.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
It is already too late, but a lot of people have reported issues with Redline 75w90NS over the years in Subaru transmissions - nasioc.com i-club.com etc

You can be your own judge but it should be fine as long as it works for you though.

I have been using Extra S and have just done another change after 30k miles. Only light metal dust on the magnet so I know it is protecting well. But I live in California...

My recommendation is Extra S if you do not need freezing temp operation (or don't mind notchy shifts while it is warming up). Or the Delvac if you need it.

Everything seems fine with the redline 75w90NS. I may try the delvac if I can locate it or some supertech in a year or 2.

Basically with the redline it shifts like the factory fluid only better when cold.. which I what I was looking for.

I also saw that some people had issues with it but they had the 6speed MT and I have the 5speed.

Last edited:
Not sure what the transmission in a 2011 is like, but in our 2003 Forester 5-speed I went with half Amsoil and half Redline "smurfblood". We immediately noticed that shifting was not so notchy, and notice no difference in winter. But we are in Atlanta so it does not get arctic cold here.

Definitely check some Subaru forums and you should find good Subaru-specific info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back