2011 Silverado with a new engine. Oil SWAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago my engine had several issues so GM replaced it with a new one. I first used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 full synthetic but after 2 oil changes using Pennzoil I want to know if it would be safe to swap to Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic?

Thanks

Swap as many times as you like with whatever you like; I have never seen anything proven one way or the other about this practice being detrimental. If memory serves the military has done this for decades since there are contracts awarded for oil vendors and they are changed all the time.

Despite my name and the general love for SOPUS products on BITOG, I decided I'd like to run a little thicker 5W-30 in my 5.3 Silverado. I had a little bit of warm ticking so I thought I'd give M1 (former user in other vehicles) a try. Even though the general consensus is that M1 is a "noisier" oil, I'll have to admit my 5.3 seems to like it and it is quieter than on PP. The warm tick seems to have all but disappeared. (Tig would be proud of me.)

I guess the lesson for me is that among the top brands there is no bad oil, and you have to find the one that your vehicle seems to like. In short I went from PP to M1 and have nothing but good things to say about the switch in my Silverado

Last edited:
Yeah, I still have the lifter/fuel injector noise but I am really wanting it to be as quiet as possible. A few friends suggested Amsoil to help with that issue? The only drawback there is I have to order it because there's no dealer around.
Money is no issue with my oil cost, just choice.

Don't believe those jokers from NC.
45.gif

I'm an Amsoil dealer and they are making their oil cheaper IE: OE & XL formulas with short drain intervals. I am getting the opinion that off the shelf oils are just as good due to modern engine designs. I do like their Gear Lube and the ATF is awesome!

I was running the Amsoil SAE 30 Diesel Oil in my car and it was happy because it is comparable to a regular 10w30 with full film lubrication. This car has a tea-cup oil filter and I changed it every 5K miles and dropped the oil at 10K.

If your engine is somewhat new, hold off on the premium synthetics until the rings are run in properly. My Tahoe was torn down at 39K and the 2nd ring still looked new.

Originally Posted By: dickwells
Dksram: What engine are we talking about here?

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
If your engine is somewhat new, hold off on the premium synthetics until the rings are run in properly. My Tahoe was torn down at 39K and the 2nd ring still looked new.

Syn and new engines is a non-issue. I have broken in plenty of new engines on syn and there are new vehicles that come from the factory with syn in the sump.

AFM oil consumption and severe piston slap.

I've ran PP since and seems a little noisy but I thought M1 may be quieter but after reading this I'm not to sure.

I was using M1 before the engine issues but I never paid attention then until the knock/piston slap occurred

All I can say is, WOW. Mobil 1 made the engine almost whisper quiet. I would have never thought it would be that quiet so no more Pennzoil Platinum in this motor.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back