2011+ Ram and other RFE owners delete ATF heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the video, look under your chrysler rfe and see if you have the thermal bypass block, if so get it off there. You can delete w/o the $100 valve, but that makes it easy. Now that these vehicles are getting old, this is killing atf4 by bypassing your cooler. These blocks are now failing, the result is hot transmision fluid.

We have a lot of guys running redline c+ because of the bottom video, a must watch for any guy having an rfe transmision, they are all related, from the cummins to the dodge aspen, you need to watch that video. The ester based stuff just deals with heat better. If you wont run the pao/ester formula, at least change your atf4 often. My fluid was black after 30k miles. The large container my trans fluid atf4 after 30k miles, and the small container was a sample of my transfer case fluid same 30k miles.

Some guys are tuning up line pressure with valve body plate or gasket to help alleviate some of these rfe issues. Whatever you can think to do to allow your fluid to do it's job should pay dividends. Upgrade fluid, line pressure, or thermal delete maybe even one of these will extend the life of these transmisions.

[Linked Image]

thermal bypass delete

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/tRw1wz0JEos?t=750[/video]

Originally Posted by tony1679
At what point do we stop over-engineering vehicles and stop creating problems where none exist? Just keep it simple...
33.gif

Sadly, I think those days are over, why old vehicles being rebuilt is our best option. I think auto manufactorers like this, ensures vehicles can break sooner then if they didn't have all of this tech.

The percentage of Thermal Bypass failures is probably pretty small.....I have a heated trans cooler flush machine with a flow meter. If these were failing with any regularity.....I would know it!
Do they fail? Absolutely! Ford has used them longer than any Domestic OEM!

What does this have to do with the Transfer Case?

To think that the Thermal Bypass was added just to ruin your transmission is complete nonsense! Like any other mechanical component.....There IS an optimal operating temperature!

This Horse-S*** probably flies on a Ram Forum where cliques decide what's best everyone?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The percentage of Thermal Bypass failures is probably pretty small.....I have a heated trans cooler flush machine with a flow meter. If these were failing with any regularity.....I would know it!

To think that the Thermal Bypass was added just to ruin your transmission is complete nonsense! Like any other mechanical component.....There IS an optimal operating temperature!

This Horse-S*** probably flies on a Ram Forum where cliques decide what's best everyone?

lol baggage?

Hey, if you want something that prevents fluid from flying freely through your tranny oil cooler, go for it, but your personal attack is poor form.

Originally Posted by burla

lol baggage?

Hey, if you want something that prevents fluid from flying freely through your tranny oil cooler, go for it, but your personal attack is poor form.

How is it personal when your parroting/plagiarizing someones else's opinion? I have tested hundreds of Thermal Bypass's.....The failure rate is VERY low!

You brought up another forum, which by the way brings anyone into the fold in equally.

Secondly the info I posted is solid, and low rate of failure doesn't mean they don't fail. And even when they are properly working they will make your oil run at 170+ when it can run lower. My truck no thermo bypass runs religiously at 136f and after change to c+ runs between 131/133f. Guys with the thermo valve are reporting near 180f religiously, of which some of them are chosing to delete. Not only that, but an rfe was tore down in the video, something anyone with an rfe will appreciate. No reason to wage personal jabs, it is a shame what is allowed here sometimes.

My 2018 RAM 1500 3.6/ 8 speed auto doesn't take ATF+4. The trans runs around 174° all the time except when really cold. Tonight it was 8°........trans never got over 145°.

Originally Posted by oldhp
My 2018 RAM 1500 3.6/ 8 speed auto doesn't take ATF+4. The trans runs around 174° all the time except when really cold. Tonight it was 8°........trans never got over 145°.

Yeah, the 8spds in the Rams are a different animal. Because of the way the coolant 3-way valve will divert heat away from the ATF heater, if you have the cabin heat cranked, the ATF temp takes a long time to come up and will not reach the 185degf it wants to run at. Turn the cabin heat down and you can instantly see the ATF temp tick up a degree at a time.

Because of this, I've had ATF temps as low as 160 on a 0degF day and as high as 220 on a 90f day with my Pentastar powered Ram and 8hp45 trans.

Last edited:
You brought up another forum, which by the way brings anyone into the fold in equally.

Secondly the info I posted is solid, and low rate of failure doesn't mean they don't fail. And even when they are properly working they will make your oil run at 170+ when it can run lower. My truck no thermo bypass runs religiously at 136f and after change to c+ runs between 131/133f. Guys with the thermo valve are reporting near 180f religiously, of which some of them are chosing to delete. Not only that, but an rfe was tore down in the video, something anyone with an rfe will appreciate. No reason to wage personal jabs, it is a shame what is allowed here sometimes.

170-180 is perfect ATF temperature. Any ATF can handle that all day long, but especially a synth such as ATF+4. I dont start worrying until its getting over 220F. 130F is too cold imo.

Last edited:
I'd ask what is the optimum temperature for the fluid to run at (ie: what is the design of the transmission and fluid?)?

From what it sounds like, 170 to 180 is exactly where this fluid is supposed to be for this setup.

And Ram owners like this would likely freak out at seeing the 6R80 temps in the F150's - 190-210 is normal and expected.

We aren't back in the old days anymore - fluid or transmission design wise.

The reality is this bypass valve leaks and sticks in the bypass position in almost every case, causing the transmission cooler flow to bypass the trans cooler, essentially eliminating the trans cooler from the circuit.

The block removes the thermostat from the loop.

If the fluid isn't getting cooled properly at elevated temps then absolutely is a problem but 180F is fine.

lol baggage?

There is no personal attack in your quote. Attempting to deflect and distract is a defensive tactict when you are trying to spew garbage as fact.

Originally Posted by dave1251

lol baggage?

There is no personal attack in your quote. Attempting to deflect and distract is a defensive tactict when you are trying to spew garbage as fact.

garbage is the only thing you post dude, now all I did was post something some people may not want on their truck, along with a tear down video of an rfe transmsion by pro's, and my fluid at 30k miles. Of course that would be controversial, LOL. Typical BITOG joke posters, you guys are sick and angry.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws

170-180 is perfect ATF temperature. Any ATF can handle that all day long, but especially a synth such as ATF+4. I dont start worrying until its getting over 220F. 130F is too cold imo.

Yes, atf4 is fairly thick at 130f, but the real issue is when this valve breaks. It's in the video on the thermal bypass link.

Originally Posted by ofelas
Is the temp being taken from the stock location or a mechanical gauge mounted elsewhere?

hey bud, did you watch the video's on both links? There is a video in the thermal bypass link, if that doesn't answer your question please pm me and I will see if I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back